Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ellen proballet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2006, 01:38 PM
    Locating record of house sale from 20 years ago
    I sold a house more than 20 years ago, and since then have lost the papers from the house sale in a family tragedy. I have need to recover these house sale papers to prove I was previously a home owner. From which office could I recover these papers proving that I sold the house? The real estate office which aided in the house sale in 1983 says that all transactions are available on the internet but does not direct me to a specific site where I can find them. Where can I find a record of this house being sold and my name on the papers?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2006, 01:43 PM
    It is possible that some states and/or counties have deed records online.

But most don't.

But you can go to the court house where the property is at and get a copy of the deed and records.
    Ellen proballet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Thank you Chuck

Since I have been living out of the country since I sold the house, part of what I needed is the language with which to ask for records. Would the deeds records also show that I held the mortgage on this property?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2006, 10:06 AM
    That is fairly well it,

IF you don't live in the area, you can call a title search company locally in that area and tell them you need a copy of the deed that showed you owned the property, the copy of the deed showing where it was tranfered into your name and then the deed showing where you transferred it to the next owner. And they should have a release of the lien, showing that you paid the lien off.

But basically you can ask for any records that relate to your ownership of that property ( give them general years)

** different states , and even in some states they have various methods of recording deeds and/or title to property, so some of the wording varies.
    We have been going though some of that in our real estate classes last month

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 24/m can't get over Ex Girlfriend (of 4 years) just broke up 3-4 weeks ago [ 11 Answers ]

Well this is how it all started. I went to a bar with my friends and she was at the bar I was at. She was talking to one of her x flings and I got all pissed off. So I walked up to her and I was like what the hell are u doing. She was like nothing don't worry about me. Then throguh out the whole...

Song I heard years ago [ 5 Answers ]

I remember watching this pop/rock/punkish song on much (canadian mtv) when I was 4-ish. It went something like this: "..and i don't know how far you go...blahblahblahblah blah-blahblah american psycho.." at that moment the video featured a spiky bleached blonde haired guy singing/screaming...

Enrichment? House sale [ 1 Answers ]

My perents got a legal separation and so that my mother can live by herself she they are about to sell a 5 familly house in brooklyn. They bought this house about 10 years ago and for the past 7 we have owned it but have rented out the apartaments and have not lived in it ourselves. We own and have...

Name of a movie I saw years ago... [ 1 Answers ]

I saw this movie years ago. It was about a girl and she was having a dream but she didn't realize until the end when she woke up. I only remember little sections of the movie so be patient with me. She worked at a chicken place and one of the good guys was taking the chicken with this claw on a...

View more questions Search