Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jlesnik33 Posts: 235, Reputation: 26

Aug 30, 2010, 09:03 PM
    My slow new laptop
    I got my new laptop Saturday, and it actually loads pages etc pretty fast, so I guess I can't really call it slow. But sometimes and this happens often, it freezes but it doesn't tell me not responding or anything and starts moving again a few seconds later, even when I type it doesn't show the letters right away.

What can be the problem?
    I don't think its our internet connection cause, my other halfs computer is older than this one and doesn't have a problem.

And how can I fix this?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2010, 02:16 AM

Is this a wireless connection?

Can you confirm it does or does not happen on a wired one?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2010, 02:22 AM
    The first thing I do when I get my hands on a new computer is to de-crapify it, that is remove the stuff the manufacturer put on that is supposed to be "helper" applications but really just slow down the system.
    It's tough for us to know what's all installed and running in the background. You could try installing Ccleaner and using its Startup item feature

Aug 31, 2010, 06:27 AM

Is there anyway you can give me an example of the stuff they put on it that I don't need, and it keeps popping up my computer is at risk, which I dout cause all I go on is Facebook and amhd.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2010, 07:43 PM

In this post, posts 3 and 5 are some things that you can do that will help with 'speed' and responsiveness of your new system as well as any windows OS
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/comput...rs-233870.html

Under services in post 5, there is not a link there now for Windows 7, here is a link for windows 7 services (explained in post)
    Windows 7 Service Configurations by Black Viper

Aug 31, 2010, 09:03 PM

Okay thanks so much, and I have one other question, which is pretty dumb lol.

But if I leave my laptop plugged in even when its turned off, can that kill the battery quicker?

My old laptop I had I kept plugged in all the time, and the battery didn't last long, I didn't know if that had something to do with it.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2010, 08:42 AM

Check this link for some info
    About Keeping Your Laptop Plugged In | eHow.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will downloading itunes onto my laptop slow it down? [ 6 Answers ]

I have itunes on my normal computer but I would like to put it on my laptop because I rarely use my normal computer cause its so slow... so I was wondering if I downloaded itunes onto my laptop will it slow it down or not? I plan to also use the new home sharing thing so I can move all the music on...

Slow laptop [ 6 Answers ]

I have a fairly new laptop. (couple months old).It is running really slow. It is 1.6Ghz, 3GH RAM. Whatever that means. I don't know much about computers, but it seems like Ive used up way more space than I should have in only 3 months. 44 G used 95G free space. And that is AFTER I ran disk...

Slow turn braking. Pedal Vibrates and Truck does not slow [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I have a 98 Ford Expedition. My ABS brake sometimes comes on... When going in a slow turn, my pedal sometimes shakes and does not brake. I usually have to pump the pedal to get it to brake. What is this? Thanks for your advice in advance.

Forced Air Furnace flame good, fan goes slow then fast then slow, etc [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a forced air propane furnace in a "Park Model" rv trailer. (This is a bit smaller than a mobile home) The furnace is used infrequently as the trailer is located in a sumer resort vacation area, however we do like to go up a couple of times in the winter months. Furnace was...

Slow laptop [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop is very slow .How can I bring to its normal speed

View more questions Search