Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cordova Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Can the IRS attach or garnish my IRA
    My creditor is a bank. I need to set up an IRA in order to roll over a retiree benefit lump sum. Can my creditor attach or garnish my savings in the form of an IRA?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2010, 06:43 AM

Depends on what state you live in and the purpose of the garnishment (possibly)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2010, 07:47 AM

In your subject you ask if the IRS can attach an IRA and the answer is generally yes.

But another creditor generally can't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much can IRS garnish from Social Security? [ 17 Answers ]

I was wondering how much the IRS can garnish from my social security check? I owe back taxes and they just sent me a letter stating they are going to take almost 45% of my social security check. It is going to leave me unable to pay my rent and utilities. Can they really take up to almost 50%. ...

Can the IRS garnish disability from social security? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe the IRS about 40 grand. I had 3 strokes recently and have applied for social security disability. If approved for disability my monthly check would be about 1800 dollars. What can I do to keep the IRS from my meager check?

IRS can they garnish my social security check [ 6 Answers ]

IRS can they garnish my socila security check

Can I garnish someone's IRS refund? [ 1 Answers ]

Recently I was awarded a small claims judgment in Oklahoma. The individual will never pay. I know that individual receives a large IRS refund every year. Can I garnish or put a lien on that refund for the amount of the Judgement? If so, how and what forms would I use? I have tried contacting...

IRS garnish [ 2 Answers ]

How much can IRS granish from my paycheck

View more questions Search