Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2010, 09:12 AM
    Can I be Muslim and still...
    I was raised christian. But after many years of learning and research, I said my Shahada just a few days ago Alhamdulillah (and I am SO happy about it)
    But I am having a hard time with the concept of Jesus (Praise be upon him) Can I still be Muslim and believe him to be the messiah? I do NOT worship him AS God as some christians do. I do not believe him to be god. But I DO believe him to be sent to earth by God to save us.

The concept of Jesus in Islam is very confusing to me. Can someone please help? Isha-Allah ill be able to figure this all out.

Ramadan Mubarak
    bluefairy_nebul Posts: 163, Reputation: 18

Aug 30, 2010, 03:21 PM

Ramadan Mubarak jenniepepsi!

Happy to hear that u have accepted Islam as your religion..

We Muslims believe Esha (PBUH) as one of our prophets sent by Allah.

Islam Question and Answer - A brief look at ?Eesa (Jesus) ? peace be upon him

Islam Question and Answer - What do Muslims believe about Jesus(peace be upon him)

Islam Question and Answer - Can a person who believes that Jesus is the son of God be a Muslim?

May Allah help you to clear all your confusions as hidayah is solely upon him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 06:00 PM

No he is not a savior in Islam, merely a prophet. He is also not the son of God in Islam.
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2010, 08:51 PM

Chuck, from what I have learned from the teachers I have, they said they do believe Jesus to be the savior, and that he was born of mary, a virgin, and he is alive in heaven, and will return to destroy satan. They don't believe him to BE god, like some christians do, because they take seriously when god said 'there are no other gods except me' but other than Jesus not being god, the belief is the same to me it seems. Unless I am misunderstanding. That is why I am glad that they told me that if I ever find anything in the Islam religion that I do not agree with, I am free to return to christianity.

I just feel, after all the learning I have done, there isn't really any difference between islam and christianity. Except that christians believe that jesus IS god. And muslims pray a great deal more, and more standardized. Even more so than catholics.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2010, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    chuck, from what i have learned from the teachers i have, they said they do believe Jesus to be the savior, and that he was born of mary, a virgin, and he is alive in heaven, and will return to destroy satan. they dont believe him to BE god, like some christians do, because they take seriously when god said 'there are no other gods except me' but other than Jesus not being god, the belief is the same to me it seems. unless i am misunderstanding. that is why i am glad that they told me that if i ever find anything in the Islam religion that i do not agree with, i am free to return to christianity.

i just feel, after all the learning i have done, there isnt really any difference between islam and christianity. except that christians believe that jesus IS god. and muslims pray a great deal more, and more standardized. even more so than catholics.

The Father (God), The Son (Jesus Christ) and The Holy Spirit are one.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2010, 03:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post

i just feel, after all the learning i have done, there isnt really any difference between islam and christianity. except that christians believe that jesus IS god. and muslims pray a great deal more, and more standardized. even more so than catholics.
    Assalaam alaikum Jennie,

Ramadan Mubarak to you too.It is wonderful to hear about you saying the Shahadha.Alhamdlillah!

Regarding Easa/Jesus (alaihi salaam)-
    Yes we do believe him to be special and that he was taken to heaven and that he will return to earth during the end times.

The important point in Islam is to believe that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the last and final Messenger and the Quran is the final revelation which contains the confirmation of the message brought down by all the Prophets and Messengers.

Quran Surah Aal-e-Imran [3:45]
    (Remember) when the angels said: "O Maryam (Mary)! Verily, Allâh gives you the glad tidings of a Word ["Be!" - and he was! i.e. 'Īsā (Jesus) the son of Maryam (Mary)] from Him, his name will be the Messiah 'Īsā (Jesus), the son of Maryam (Mary), held in honour in this world and in the Hereafter, and will be one of those who are near to Allâh."

Quran Surah Al-Maeda [5:116]

And (remember) when Allâh will say (on the Day of Resurrection): "O 'Īsā (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)! Did you say unto men: 'Worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allâh?' " He will say: "Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner-self though I do not know what is in Yours, truly, You, only You, are the All-Knower of all that is hidden (and unseen)."

Quran Surah Az-Zukhruf [43:59]
    "He ['Īsā (Jesus)] was not more than a slave. We granted Our Favour to him, and We made him an example for the Children of Israel (i.e. his creation without a father)."

Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2010, 07:02 AM

Thank you firmbeliever! That does make much more sense.

Kitkat, sorry to say, even when I was christian I did not believe Jesus was God. He specifically said several times in the bible that he was NOT.
    Muslim1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2011, 06:09 AM
    slam alykom brother
    first you can visit this page for anything you need to know about islam
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/islam/10150089803560089?ref=sgm
    and about your question sure it is not you can it is you have to believe in jesus(p.u.h) if you are real muslim
    because muslims should believe in all prophets inculding jesus,moses,mohammad (p.u.thm all)
    and muslims should believe too in the holy house holds of the prophet mohammad
    I mean " ahlu albyt" peace be up on them
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2011, 09:54 PM

Asalaamu Alaikum

I have since resolved this confusion :) Thank you for coming to help however. Jesus (PBUH) is everything I always loved in him, with the exception of being Gods biological child. And I have accepted that Alhamdulillah. He is the son of God. But no more than I am His daughter. We are ALL His children.

Asalaamu Alaikum
    Muslim1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2011, 04:10 AM

Wa alykom slam
    You are welcome anytime
    Almdulelah you had resolved that... and yeah prophet jesus (p.u.h) is a prophet when he enter your heart there will be no way out... but still allah donot have father or son but had beloved prophets that he gave them the gift of prophecy
    Besm allah arahman alraheem
    1} قُلْ هُوَ اللَّهُ أَحَدٌ
    Say: He is Allah, the One and Only;

{2} اللَّهُ الصَّمَدُ
    Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;

{3} لَمْ يَلِدْ وَلَمْ يُولَدْ
    He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;

{4} وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ كُفُوًا أَحَدٌ
    And there is none like unto Him.

Sadaq allah al azeem
    In allah safety "fe amman allah "

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Bangalore muslim girl marry a kerala muslim guy? [ 4 Answers ]

Assalamualaikum... I am a muslim girl from bangalore and am in love with a kerala muslim guy,we both like each other and want to get married.my parents have no objections,his side all are agreeing including his mother and relatives except his father.his mother and rest all can't take a decision...

Can a black non-muslim man marry a muslim woman? [ 18 Answers ]

For the past few months I've been dating a muslim girl. I think I'm starting to fall in love with her and would love nothing more than to marry this girl. However, I am African American and she is from Jordan. She has told me that her family would most likely not approve, as they want her to...

View more questions Search