Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kadedid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 09:28 AM
    value of ivory piano keys
    Have 1840 to 1850's Blankenstien piano need to know value of Ivory keys?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 10:07 AM

If you want to know the value of piano key ivory, and want to make a profit, then you would have to see if your State allows the sale of ivory. It is a Federal embargo on ivory. Collectors buy piano key ivory for artistic reasons, jewellery, etc. but if sold pertains to the black market. TheFederal government siezes and stockpiles ivory tusks being shipped to the North American continent. The main reason they are stock piling is to discourage poachers from killing elephants for their tusks alone. In some cases leaving them to die after extracting the tusks in order to save ammunition. Sounds really attractive doesn't it ?

I can't tell you the value and would not even propose to do so. You can investigate on Google by putting in 'piano ivory keys for sale'. Remember though that the thickness of the product colour and quality will play a major role in a collector buying.

tick
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2010, 01:04 AM
    Hi, kadedid!

There's about twelve different categories of the quality of ivory piano keytops. The older the piano is, the less likely that the quality will be one of the better ones. If there's a lot of grain pattern visible and the ivories are damaged and/or discolored, then they aren't worth as much as the better quality ones.

Why are you wanting to know the monetary value, please?

I've been a piano tuner technician since 1974 and have replaced many sets of ivory piano keytops with the more modern plastics and many, many keytops with real ivory.

Thanks!
    AlphaGeek1987 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2011, 01:48 PM
    What Tickle says about the embargo on ivory is true to some degree. There was a federal embargo established in 1989 on the sale of ivory. It's a federal embargo which actually has nothing to do with the state you live in. However the embargo only covers ivory that was obtained or installed on pianos after 1940. Anything before that is actually perfectly legal to sell in any state, so considering the fact that your piano is from the 1800's, you should have no problem selling your ivory legally.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 30, 2011, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaGeek1987 View Post
    What Tickle says about the embargo on ivory is true to some degree. There was a federal embargo established in 1989 on the sale of ivory. It's a federal embargo which actually has nothing to do with the state you live in. However the embargo only covers ivory that was obtained or installed on pianos after 1940. Anything before that is actually perfectly legal to sell in any state, so considering the fact that your piano is from the 1800's, you should have no problem selling your ivory legally.
    Hi Alpha, this thread is already becoming old, and I don't think the OP will be back to check you input as good as it is and thank you.

Tick
    saranyuv Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 10:21 PM
    If you still want to sell ivory keys, please let me know at [email protected]. Thank you.
    geri valentine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 02:12 PM
    I wish to sell piano also not just the keys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sell ivory piano keys? [ 14 Answers ]

Our local hall have been trying to figure out the best way to dispose of an old piano which is no longer in use because it has nothing going for it when it comes to playing it. It was decided we try to sell the keys separately to make some money for the hall but no one knew whether this was legal...

Can you sell piano key ivory? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a piano that's around 100 years old. It was not taken care of and hardly any of the keys work. I have had it worked on numerous times, but can no longer afford to repair it. There is genuine ivory on each of the keys. I have been told there is a market for the old ivory but have no idea...

Can you sell piano key ivory? [ 9 Answers ]

I have a piano that's around 100 years old. It was not taken care of and hardly any of the keys work. I have had it worked on numerous times, but can no longer afford to repair it. There is genuine ivory on each of the keys. I have been told there is a market for the old ivory but have no idea...

View more questions Search