Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guera2114 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2010, 07:22 AM
    How long does the prosecution have to indict a person in Illinois?
    How long does the prosecution have to indict a person in Illinois?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 11:36 AM

It depends on the crime, misdemeanor, felony, what crime.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 11:45 AM

Hello g:

In Illinois, there is NO statute of limitations on 1st or 2nd degree murder, attempt to commit first degree murder, criminal solicitation to commit murder, involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide, treason, arson, or forgery.

In general, all other felony's are 3 yrs WITH some exceptions involving underage victims. Misdemeanors - 18 months.

excon

Aug 28, 2010, 03:44 PM

Its for armed home invasion class "x" does that make a diffrence?? Just trying to get some info on this for a friend thxs

Aug 28, 2010, 03:55 PM

Sorry its just home invasion class "x"
    Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 06:20 PM

Sounds like it is the 3 years

Aug 28, 2010, 06:55 PM

They can they really hold you for 3 years without doing anything?. in county jail??
    Expert

Aug 28, 2010, 07:57 PM

No, you did not ask how long they can hold you in jail,

You asked how long they can hold you before they officially charge you.

So what is the exact charge you are being held on ?
    Have you had a first appearance in court ?
    Is bail set ?
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 02:18 AM

Hello g:

Yeah, that's a different question... 72 hours in jail before charges are levied - that's all they got.

excon

Aug 29, 2010, 08:07 AM

Its not for me and they have had him in jail since aug 9th pickd him up on a warrant for home invasion, defaced firearm, unlawfull use of a firarm by a felon and criminal tresspassing and haven't done anything to him yet haven't put any evidence forward told him what's going on or anything just keep cont his court dates all they said is they found a piece of hair down the street from the crime that's his and this happned back in oct 2008... when does it take almost 2 years for dna evidence?? This case is bull**** if you ask me.. lol... does this help?
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by guera2114 View Post
    .....does this help??
    Hello again, g:

Yes, it does. I think you'll find that he HAS been charged with a crime already. Therefore, additional charges from the grand jury won't change anything.

excon
    Expert

Aug 29, 2010, 08:21 AM

No, they already had a warrant, so there were already charges placed against him. I will assume he had a bail hearing.

No the evidence does not come out till trial.

From the time of arrest, till the trial, can even be a year or more.

And on DNA evidence, yes it can take about a year or year and a half, it is not like TV , crime labs are seriously backed up

Aug 29, 2010, 08:51 AM

So if since they placed a warrant out for him they won't indict him because they already charged him? I think I understand lol sorry
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2010, 08:59 AM

Hello g:

Here's the deal.. An ARREST warrant does NOT mean that CHARGES have been levied. In MANY instances, they have NOT. IF they haven't, the prosecutor has 72 hours in which to do so, or they have to let the guy OUT of jail. They STILL have 3 years (assuming that's the SOL for this crime) for a grand jury to indict a person. Or, the prosecutor can file charges himself WITHOUT going to a grand jury anytime within the SOL.

All they need is ONE charge to keep him in jail. They can certainly add others later and most likely will.

excon

Aug 29, 2010, 09:12 AM

OK thanks for your help
    Expert

Aug 29, 2010, 09:43 AM

And in some areas they have the grand jury first, who change and then they issue a warrant.

So only his attorney will know what is happening.

But if he is in jail after 3 days, they had charges of some type on hm, ( those charges can be changed, and more added and some dropped)

Unless he makes bail, he will sit in jail till the trial, which can be months and months down the road

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If arrested 4 hindering prosecution 1st degree n MS,how long do they have 2 indict [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of Mississippi, if you are arrested for Hindering Prosection in the 1st degree, how long does the prosecution have to present the case to the grand jury for an indictment?

How long does it take to evict someone from a home in Illinois [ 1 Answers ]

How long does the process usually take to evict some one from a rental home in the state of Illinois?

How long to pay child support in Illinois? [ 1 Answers ]

I was divorced in Illinois in 1999. I have been divorced for over 10 years, but have since moved to Indiana and have been living here for over 5 years. My decree states that child support payments end at 18, but in the state of Indiana the law is, if the child is a full time student in college,...

How long do they have to indict you if in jail [ 10 Answers ]

If you are in jail how long does the state have to indict you, before they have to release you?

In the state of Illinois how long does a father have till it is consider abandonment? [ 5 Answers ]

My name is Angela I have 3 kids. My oldest daughters father has not had anything todo with her since Mothers day 2006. He has not called he or even paid child support for her in over a year. My husband Russell is wanting to adopte her and that is what she wants. I have explained to her what...

View more questions Search