Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lslaughter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 10:58 PM
    Accounting homework help
    I am brand new to accounting. I am very excited, as I really want to do this. The only thing is, my instructor has a very thick accent, and is hard to understand. I'm not looking for the answer, just how to get to it. I'm feeling kind of lost. Here's my problem:
    These data, exclusive of amount of owner's equity, are shown on a balance sheet:
    Beg. Of year: Total Assets $810,000 Total Liabilities $324,000
    End of year: Total Assets $1,296,000 Total Liabilities $540,000
    On the basis of the above data, determine the net income or loss.
    I understand how to determine the OE, but this would have to do with the difference in OE.. not sure how to get there. Do you subtract beg. Of year OE from end of year OE?
    Also, I am getting ridiculous amounts trying to determine net income/loss... I know the answer is close, but I'm just not sure how to get there, and the book is not clear (or I'm obviously missing out on something). I feel so stupid. Can you help me?
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Aug 27, 2010, 12:57 AM

Yes, you deduct beginning OE from the ending OE, to get the net increase or decrease in OE.

Since your question does not give any information about the additional investment, and or withdrawals, you may assume that the resulting increase in OE is net income.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2010, 02:56 AM

Since many of these types of problem include different scenarios, such as no investments or withdrawals, then xxxxx amount of withdrawal, etc. if you have anything that includes investment and/or withdrawal, most students find it easier to start with the beginning, add or subtract the given amounts, and then figure the difference between that sub-total and the ending balance. That is, rather that getting the difference between beginning and ending, and then trying to "account for" the change, which is not as straight-forward. (Unless of course you only have net income/loss.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting Homework [ 2 Answers ]

Question: The manager of Burger Barn wishes to determine the price to charge for various lunch plates. Discuss how managerial accounting information could be used.

Accounting Homework? [ 1 Answers ]

If a company has a trial balance including these accounts: Merchandise inventory $17,500; Purchases $149,400; Sales $200,000; Freight-in $4,000; Sales Returns & Allowances $4,000; Freight-out $1,000; and Purchase Returns & Allowances $2,000. The ending merchandise inventory is $25,000. How would...

View more questions Search