Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sschoonie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 04:32 PM
    How do I find a grant to teach martial arts at a charter school
    I need to find funding to provide training to inner city youth at no cost to them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 06:18 PM

You may try local non profits, and of course you will need to set up your "school" or funding as a non profit, to apply to various corportations.

Also check with the charter school itself, and see if they have funding
    eawoodall Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2011, 12:32 PM
    Charter schools are public type schools that are privately owned, and privately run.
    They are a different choice for public school students in some areas.

Many schools are against violence, which is all they see in the martial arts.
    And against conflict resolution, because of the 100% no tolerance policy.
    So if someone attacks a student at a school both are at fault
    From the schools point of view.

Is it fair, no, does it work well, no.
    It gives someone who is a victim, a record that says they were violent when they did nothing!
    So no tolerance toward viiolence policies falsely convict children who do not fight back on violence.
    It is placed in the permanent record, and under similar rules can be prosecuted.

I know of at least one school who understands that teaching the martial arts can be useful,
    But it is seldom understood by people scared of their own shadow that you can have options,
    When things go bad.

Martial arts includes health exercises, numbers in other languages, history of other cultures,
    Philosophy, and yes if a school will allow it then self defense techniques or at least discussion.

But the schoool must beware associating itself with martial arts, and you must beware liability,
    For only if you are covered by enough insurance, or other protections should you choose to risk
    All to help others in such a way, it is easier to open a dojo or have a class in the park, than
    To try to have classes at the school, but if the school board approves it, and you get waivers
    From every student's parents, and in writing from the state department of education,
    Then go ahead. But beware. Haters are everywhere.
    I have taught public school, but the joke was that every teacher introduced me as the wrestling coach,
    Since actually we did not have a wrestling team. And certainly I did not teach any actual martial arts
    To anyone in any way associated with the school. Did I include numbers from other languages sure,
    Did I include philosophy as appropriate to the material and why students needed to learn the material
    Presented in school, sure.

So finding funding is often a problem, should you choose to pursue this further. But my advice is do it
    Outside the school, outside the school grounds, and away from the requirements that would placed on you.
    The school cannot complain if parents choose to have you train their children not during school time.
    And parents may not have much, but they can be easier to get off the pocketbook than any governemental entity.
    If you must volunteer, go ahead, anywhere outdoors where you will not disturb others, or scare them would work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Martial Arts [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking for the title of a martial arts movie where the main character is training(always in track suit) and travelling around the world(with his trainers) to accept all challenges. His rivals fear his techniques with his feet, but he is equally skilled with his feet. The storyline takes place...

Martial arts [ 1 Answers ]

I'm starting a martial arts class soon and I have long hair for a guy, but not long enough to pull back of anything. It still get in my face when I am fighting though and it leaves me blinded until I fix it. Do you know of any ways to keep my hair out of my face without getting it cut? Its ...

View more questions Search