Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Issues after virus
    I have a Dell Dimension 2400, Windows XP Home Edition. I was originally using AVG Anti-virus but when we started using Verizon DSL, it came with a security suite so I used that anti-virus protection instead and uninstalled AVG.

About a month ago, Verizon suddenly said it found viruses in a few different files. I cleaned/quarantined them and ever since, I've had numerous problems.

1. My audio has gone out completely; I tried reinstalling the driver and it would work on and off but now it's completely gone.

2. I can't visit Microsoft Update; it won't display the page. If I go through the Control Panel, it says "Automatic Updates" are already turned on but it's not updating the computer.

3. When I try to shut down or restart, the computer "hangs" on the shut-down page.

4. When I try to run CCleaner, the program hangs.

5. Verizon Online Back-Up won't run, it says it's missing a .dll file

At the recommendation of another member here, I stopped using Verizon SS and installed Avast! Instead; it's picked up a few things as well but I still have all the above issues. I've tried running ASC, defragged, ran a complete scan of my C drive... nothing is helping and I'm getting really frustrated. Any help?? :(
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 12:45 PM

I would give Microsoft Secutity Essentials a try, It's a free download and actually works.
    Do the Update before you do a Quick Scan, after that if you need do the long scan. Can't Hurt
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2010, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I would give Microsoft Secutity Essentials a try, Its a free download and actually works.
    Do the Update before you do a Quick Scan, after that if you need do the long scan. Can't Hurt
    Okay, here's something weird: I downloaded and installed it. It won't update and gives me an error code of ox8oo72efe. Grrr!

EDIT: It says that I need to uninstall all the other stuff I had to "clean" the computer so I'm trying that. Let you know in a bit!
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2010, 01:32 PM

All right, I uninstalled a bunch of old stuff(Avast! Spybot S&D, Spyblaster, old AVG folder, etc.) - that fixed the issue of it hanging onn restart/shut down, but it still won't update. I'm going to do a Quick Scan and see what that comes up with.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 02:23 PM

Install MSE again, but in safe mode without networking. Run it in safe mode. Full scan.

Next:
    Boot in safe mode with networking. Do the update. Do a full scan again.

Boot normally.
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2010, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS View Post
    Install MSE again, but in safe mode without networking. Run it in safe mode. Full scan.

Next:
    Boot in safe mode with networking. Do the update. Do a full scan again.

Boot normally.
    The Quick Scan showed one infected file so I took care of that, rebooted and now it allowed me to update. Should I still run a scan in safe mode just to be safe?

And which key do I hold to bring that up while it's booting? F11 or F12? I can never remember :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 05:33 PM

Yes. Run in safe mode with networking disabled. You should only have to do this once. Some infections can only be removed under safe mode so do it right the first time.

Any subsequent scan you should be OK to do it with Windows booting normally.

I can't remember either.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 08:56 PM

F12.

Yours is a bit downgraded version of my Dell and probably are much alike. If you'll notice when it first boots, it has F2 Setup and F12 Boot Menu in the upper right corner.

And seems to me you can use F8 to get directly there, although that's a bit tricky on the timing.
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2010, 06:29 AM

I did a Quick Scan yesterday, it found one file and disinfected it. Then I did a Full Scan, it found three files(one was the same from the Quick Scan) and it cleaned the same one and removed the other two.

I tried restarting in Safe Mode but when I hit F12 it gives me these options:

1. Normal
    2. Hard disk drive C
    3. IDE CD-ROM
    4. System setup
    5. IDE drive diagnostic
    6. Boot to Utility Partition

Soooo... now I'm lost :) Which one do I pick?
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2010, 06:51 AM

I re-installed the audio driver and it works! Seems like everything is back to where it should be; thanks to all of you SOOO much!
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2010, 12:38 PM

Out of curiousity, what did you scan with? Thanks
    How did you determine audio driver? Looking through device manager?
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2010, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Out of curiousity, what did you scan with? Thanks
    How did you determine audio driver? looking through device manager?
    Scanned with Microsoft Security Essentials then ran CCleaner and Advanced System Care.

I went directly to Dell to find the correct audio driver, downloaded it and installed it that way.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2010, 01:06 PM

Glad you got 'er.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long can the parvol virus stay in dogs system before it shows signs of the virus [ 3 Answers ]

Can the parvol virus stay in your dog for 5 weeks or so before it becomes sick. I bought a dog from a breeder and when I phone her to tell her my dog was sick and asked her if any of hers were sick, she told me no. By Saturday (3 days Later) she had cleared all those puppies from her house. She put...

Virus not detected by anti virus [ 5 Answers ]

I have an anti virus or spyware program loaded on my computer but I know I still have things on my computer causing problems. My computer is "thinking" when nothing is running and several programs and certainly the internet are slow and sometimes just lock up at random times. What can I do or where...

Anti-Virus pop-up Virus [ 3 Answers ]

For the last week, every time I go online I get annoying pop-up ads and warning messages sayying' you're computer may be infected with malware and viruses, click here... " . Also, one of the pop-up ads is a virus scan. When I try to close them, I have to click close about ten times to get rid of...

Virus? Recycle bin issues [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes. I'm running a HP Pavilion a612x, with XP home OS. Up until a week ago there were no problems, then all of the sudden I noticed that after emptying the recycle bin, the icon still showed files in it. When opening the bin there is nothing...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

View more questions Search