Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GnedTheGnome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 10:22 AM
    Install wall mount faucet over old laundry tub
    Hi there,

First - thanks for running such a great service. It has been very helpful! I have one question for which I've not been able to find an answer here.

Our house has an original laundry tub and wall-mount faucet in the basement laundry room. It is a "Cuthbert" compression faucet with 8 inch centers (circa 1948-50) and is dripping profusely. I tried taking the stems apart to replace the washers but when I went to Home Depot for replacements the guy just laughed at me. Anyway, even if I found adequate washers I expect that the valve seats are wrecked. So it's time for a new faucet. Thankfully one can get (very swish) wall-mount faucets online, made by Kohler, American Standard, etc. They have 8 inch centers and swivel-spouts of various lengths. I've attached a picture of one that looks much like our current faucet, although ours is crusty and corroded.

Before I shell out $200-$300 for such a faucet, I wonder if you could tell me how likely it is that I could install it to the current pipes. These new faucets all have inputs specified as "1/2 inch NPT female". I don't know exactly what that means. I believe we have 1/2 inch copper pipes, but the connecting nuts on the old faucet are massive - like 2 inches in diameter. It connects right to the pipes at the wall, without any intermediate supply lines or shut-off valves. If for some reason my pipes won't accept the new faucet, could I rig some connector / adapter between the pipes and the faucet inputs?

I'm happy to call a plumber to do the install if necessary... I just don't want to waste money on a pricey faucet if it is going to be useless!

Thanks!

Gned (Halifax, NS, Canada)

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 27, 2010, 06:55 AM

when I went to Home Depot for replacements the guy just laughed at me. Anyway, even if I found adequate washers I expect that the valve seats are wrecked.
    Forget the big box stores. Take the washer into a Plumbing Repair Shop and have them replace them. When you have the stems out take your fingernail and run it around the seats. If you find any nicks or rough spots either replace them or if they're not removable take the entire valve in and have them reseated. This will cost you much less then replacing the entire valve, good luck, Tom
    GnedTheGnome Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 07:26 AM

Thanks Tom! I will give that a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to mount a wall mount pot filler [ 3 Answers ]

I was thinking about installing a wall mounted pot filler in our kitchen. What type of fitting and mounting does this require. I am using ½” copper to a thread male. I will secure the pipe to the stud. Is this correct. How far out does the thread need to stick out of the wall.

Water running from faucet behind wall at the tub [ 1 Answers ]

Water is running from behind the wall by my tub and I had to turn off the water from outside what could be wrong

How do I install a laundry tub? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I install a laundry tub? Thanks, Rick

Changing a deck mount tub faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I am changing our chrome deck mount faucet on our tub to an antique bronze one. However, we have a tub skirt that is not easily removed, unless I want to redo some trim and sheetrock work. Since I am not replacing it with the same brand, is there some kind of adapter I can use?

Replacing a faucet on a laundry tub. [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the faucet on my laundry tub and am having trouble figuring out how to get to the plumbing as it is inside the bracket that holds the tub to the wall. There are three screws holding on the tub one on top and one on each side. However, there is a bolt holding on the screws on the...

View more questions Search