Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Dec 24, 2006, 05:01 AM
    Temp Gauge showing temp, 2001 Chev Malibu
    I have a 2001 Chev Malibu LS, V6, temp gauge is not showing any heat at all, not registering when I know the coolant is hot ? Veh has about 126000 mi on it, never been flushed out, thought I would attempt to flush myself but don't you think the problem might be a bad thermostat ? If so, where and how do I change it out ?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 24, 2006, 06:32 AM
    These vehicles came with the Dex-Cool, which is famous for sludge and blockages. I would certainly start with an exstensive flush. Do you still have heat inside ? You should change your thermostat at the same time as the flush after 126k. Also the temperature sensor is the one that drives your display and is separate from your thermostat.

Dec 24, 2006, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBondMan
    I have a 2001 Chev Malibu LS, V6, temp guage is not showing any heat at all, not registering when I know the coolant is hot ? Veh has about 126000 mi on it, never been flushed out, thought I would attempt to flush myself but dont you think the problem might be a bad thermostat ? If so, where and how do I change it out ?
    RJ,
    Thanks very much, I will flush but before I start can you tell me where the thermostat is ?
    By the way, Merry Christmas. I will anxiously wait for your answer about the thermostat.

Dec 24, 2006, 07:11 AM
    RJ, I forgot to answer your question about if I had heat inside. Yes, still have heat inside the veh.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2006, 07:51 AM
    It appears to me that the temperature sensor could be bad. Drain radiator and try and remove engine drain plugs, to thoroughly drain old antifreeze. Inspect condition of cooling system. Replace temperature sensor. If everything appears fine, refill with a 50/50 mixture of Dexcool and distilled water. Make sure to fill the overflow tank slightly over the "MAX" line. Problems with Dexcool can be prevented by keeping the system filled and purging air from the system.

Dec 24, 2006, 08:37 AM
    TXGreaseMonkey and RJMorrow let me ask you and any others that might can help:
    1) Where is the temperature sensor? Is it hard to replace? I called an auto parts place and they said I probably can only get this from a dealer.
    2) Also you said "drain radiator and try and remove the engine plug(s) - did you mean the one radiator drain plug?
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2006, 08:55 AM
    1. I am not sure where the temperature sensor is located on your car. Normally, they are screwed into the water jacket of the intake manifold. Should be very easy to replace. You may be able to get it from RockAuto.com.
    2. Open the pip cock, plus undue two threaded drain plugs in the engine block. Normally, there's one on the front and back side of the block.

Dec 24, 2006, 09:04 AM
    TXGrMonkey, Man, thanks a lot, you really helped ! Merry Christmas to you.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 24, 2006, 09:25 AM
    If I recall correctly sensor is on the front on engine drivers side. Should be an easy replacement.

Good Luck
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2006, 09:30 AM
    If you can't, or don't want to, remove the engine block drain plugs, drain the radiator, replace with distilled water, drive the car for 10 minutes, and drain the system again. Repeat, if necessary, until the water comes out clear. Then, refill with a 50/50 mixture of Dexcool and distilled water. Do not use tap, well, or softened water. Remember to turn your heater on to max, while you are doing this, to flush the heater core.

In the future, I would recommend changing the antifreeze every 3 years.

Dec 24, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Both you guys (TxGreaseMonkey and RJmorrow), thanks very much, since it's Sundday, Christmas eve and I can't get a temp sensor today, I think I will try to easy route and drain, then fill will distilled water, then drive 10 min, then drain again and again until I get clear water running out, then fill with the a 50/50 mix of DexCool and distilled water. AND,

Dec 24, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Hey thanks guys, Merry Christmas.

Dec 25, 2006, 05:04 AM
    Hey guys, I drained the old coolant, opended the overflow tank to attempt to flush with distilled water, only about 6 quarts would go in before it wouldn't take any more ---- the total capacity of the engine block and the radiator is about 18 quarts ? What's going on ? When I drained from the radiator drain cock and flushed until clear water came out, I thought it would take 18 quarts ? Now I am not sure if veh is safe to drive without burning up the engine since I know the capacity is much greater than what I've put back in. By the way, the temp gauge on the dash is still not registering all.
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2006, 07:41 AM
    Looks like you should locate and remove the 2 block drain plugs. Radiator capacity, as a percentage of total capacity, is often small these days. A less desirable alternative is to back into an inclined driveway and drain the system. Otherwise, drain the radiator and heater core around 4 times. Completely warm up vehicle each time, so thermostat opens and coolant circulates. Just add distilled water, until everything drains clear.

Remember to examine the inside of the radiator for corrosion and possible mineral buildup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Temp set at 72 but temp won't go above 66 [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Lennox Pulse 21 furnace. Temp is set at 72 but the furnace stops once the temp reaches 66 degrees. Thermostat seems to be working. The seems to be a problem just when it is really cold (0 to 10 degrees).

Anti Lock Brakes Dash Warning Light, 2001 Chevy Malibu. [ 1 Answers ]

Need help with Anti Lock Brakes, ABS - 2001 Chevy Malibu... A dash warning light appeared about 3 days ago that something might be wrong with my anti lock brakes, I immediately pulled over, read about the warning in my own manual, it said turn the veh off, then restart it and if the light...

Hdd temp [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a DELL DIMENSION 9500. When I check with HDD HEALTH, it warns me that the drive (western digital) temp is 60 or 70 deg Celsius. It also says CRITICAL. What can I do. Is there another way to check ?

Question about supply temp. & return temp. [ 3 Answers ]

The AC system produced supply temps. At 57-60 degrees on the first floor With a return temp. of 71 degrees. The second floor supply temp. is at 59 degrees with a return temp. of 72 degrees. I know there should be at least a 15 degree temp. difference from the supply to return. There was also an...

Engine temp. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I have a 1977 Ford LTD II with a Ford 400 cu.in engine. This engine has always had a problem with its temperature when the car is stuck in a traffic jam. Is this normal for this engines? In heavy traffic I can't turn on the a/c because de temp rise fast and reaches the overheat range....

View more questions Search