Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john1975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 08:40 AM
    Criminal history - adoption
    In 1996, when I was 21, I lived with 4 other guys. We hosted a large house party where people under the age of 17 were allegedly drinking.

The following day, the police arrived and asked us about the incident – specifically – they wanted to know who served the minors alcohol.

The police stated that if somebody admitted to serving the alcohol, it wouldn’t be a “big deal”. Otherwise, we would all be charged. We maintained that they brought the alcohol themselves but were subsequently arrested for “endangering the welfare of a child”. Everyone that lived in the house was arrested.

I eventually accepted a deal to plead guilty to “disorderly conduct”, served 8 hours of community service, got an ACD, and had a 1 year order of protection from the other minors. These terms were fine with me at the time….. I believe my other 4 co-defendants received similar terms (nobody was convicted).

6 months prior to this incident, I was also arrested for possession of an alcoholic beverage (before I was 21). I paid a $50 fine (I believe this was also disorderly conduct).

Since the latter arrest, I have had no other run-ins with the law.

Now – at the age of 34 – my wife and I are looking to adopt a child. I am highly embarrassed and ashamed of my error in judgment – and – deeply concerned this will affect our chances of adopting. Please let me know if you think this will be a major hurdle to overcome – and – what I may expect as we continue on this journey.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 09:19 AM

As long as you are honest with the adoption agency, there should be no problems, really.

I know that background checks are done for adopting couples, but given the nature of your offenses, and how long ago they were, there shouldn't be major hurdles to overcome.

Have you hired a lawyer to help with your adoption? If so, you may want to consult with him or her to find out exactly what you should say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Private adoption with criminal history [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are planning to adopt a baby that is due in December. We have previously been turned down for adoption through CPS due to my husband having some legal trouble (assault charges) over 13 years ago. Since that time (over 12 years ago) he has quit drinking, gone through anger...

Adoption with past criminal history [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently in the process of adopting an infant. 15 years ago I was arrested of a felony for shop lifting. The charge was removed and there is no current criminal record on file. Myself and multiple employes have checked, so I know this to be true. Will the FBI criminal background check...

Criminal History [ 7 Answers ]

I have been told that after a 10 year period - a person does not have to disclose their criminal history on employment applications. Can anyone confirm this statement.

Criminal history [ 3 Answers ]

How can I help my husband get a job. He told his xwife I'm going to kill you but because he was angry she was cheating on him to the custody of kids and let put him in jail.

Criminal Background History [ 1 Answers ]

At the age of 20 while attending Job Corps), I was arrested for fighting and received an "Attempted felonious Assault" misdemeanor. A few months later I received another misdemeanor for "Obstruction of the peace" I am now 36, and I lost my job which I have been on since before 9-11, therefore...

View more questions Search