Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yroc07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2006, 10:03 PM
    Are We Related:(??
    This sucks really bad. My G/f just told me she was at a family dinner at someone who I was believed to be related to also... Here's the deal
    I am 6th Cousins with a man. This man happens to be my girlfriends Step grandmothers brother. Are we related? This is very important and help would be GREATLY Appreciated!!
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2006, 11:27 PM
    Oh man when I remember seeing a episode of Taxi when I was kid where the main character found out he was going out with his sister or cousin some how. Don't remember the back story just that everybody was laughing so hard at that.

Anyway if she's your step grandmother then there's not relation via blood.
    Fianchetto Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2006, 12:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yroc07
    This sucks really bad. My G/f just told me she was at a family dinner at someone who I was believed to be related to also... Here's the deal
    I am 6th Cousins with a man. This man happens to be my girlfriends Step grandmothers brother. Are we related? This is very important and help would be GREATLY Appreciated!!!!!
    I think what you are saying is that your sixth cousin married her grandmother's brother.

You are related very distantly, only by marriage.

But what I think you really want to know is "Can we still marry?"

More than half of the states prohibit marriage only as far removed as first cousins (varies from state to state)

I would check the law in your state, check with your religious counsel, if any (the Roman Catholic Church's ban on marriage within the fourth degree of relationship (third cousins) lasted from 1550 to 1917), but wouldn't lose any sleep over it -you can marry in more than half the states, even if you're Catholic.:)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2006, 12:37 AM
    I would say it is nothing to worry about and it sounds by what you said that this is a very very distant relation, or thought to be relation. What does your girlfriend think of this? Does it bother her at all?

Joe
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 24, 2006, 04:24 AM
    Yroc, your related by marriage. There is no blood line. There is only a mariatal connection between the two of you. How close are the families? That may play an important part in your relationship and the acceptance of others within it.
    Yroc07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2006, 02:37 PM
    Our families don't even know each other. My moms never heard of anyone with the last name of her parents even.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2006, 04:20 PM
    It is not unsual that families down to a 6th cousin may not even know each other, I have no idea the names of my 4th or 5 th cousins, and esp the names of anyone they married, and people related to that family.

So are you somewhat related by marriage, yes, but it is so for removed
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2006, 08:09 PM
    If this man is a brother to your girlfriend's step grandmother, then no, you are not related, at least not through this particular line. Even if you were, a 6th cousin is so far removed that it hardly counts as being "related."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration related question [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a work visa from past 1 year(L1B). I was given a ticket for Misdemeanor 10 months ago (in San francisco,CA)and was asked to attend a Training program (FOPP) in lieu of prosecution. (Note: I was NOT taken to court as this was my very first offense that led me in contact with criminal ...

Are my problems related? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, sorry my first post is a 'please help' but I'm desperate. I bought my PC about 2 months ago and had no problems until this week until, out of the blue: Home page is set to Wanadoo but it suddenly looked completely different. The usual red background has gone, the format is completely...

Celiac Disease Related [ 7 Answers ]

My youngest son was positively diagnosed with Celiac Disease six months ago. He had an ED done then and blood tests. The blood tests came back negative but the biiopsies clearly showed evidence of the disease and so began the treatment. My question is has anyone heard of complications with...

Looking for Environmental Related Jobs [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Consultant, I am looking for environmental related jobs anywhere in the world. I have my first degree in Botany and my MSc in Environmental Resources Management. Please treat this subject with urgency. Thank You

View more questions Search