Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alwin2k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2003, 03:37 PM
    1peter 2 verse 9
    Hi could you please help with 1 peter verse 9. The topic I'm suppose to do for my church is saved to server I need info on that. I don't know what that mean. Could you write me scriputers or a page writing. Thanks :D
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 7, 2006, 09:43 PM
    1 Peter 2:9
    King James Version (KJV)

9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Volumes can be written about this scripture. What follows is simply the bare essentials.

The darkness referred to is that of ignorance and being under sin. The light is the Word of God and the living of a righteous life.

Psalm 119:105
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psalm 119:130
    The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

Acts 26:18
    To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God,.

Peter is calling Christians a royal priesthood because those resurrected to heaven will reign with Jesus as kings and priests.

Revelation 20:6
    Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

He calls them a holy nation based on the New Covenant which Christians believe was mediated by Jesus and which is made with a spiritual Israel composed of both Jews and Gentiles who accept Jesus as the Messiah. The apostle Paul speaks in reference to this in his letter to the Romans and the Colosseans.

Colossians 3:11
    Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Romans 2:29
    But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

BTW

The answers of others will vary from mine on certain points.
    Others might add additional information.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 11, 2006, 07:37 AM
    And from notes for v.9-10 in the New American Bible:

9. But you are "a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people of his own, so that you may announce the praises" of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

10. Once you were "no people" but now you are God's people; you "had not received mercy" but now you have received mercy.

The prerogatives of ancient Israel mentioned here are now more fully and fittingly applied to the Christian people: "a chosen race" (cf Isaiah 43:20-21) indicates their divine election (Eph 1:4-6); "a royal priesthood" (cf Exodus 19:6) to serve and worship God in Christ, thus continuing the priestly functions of his life, passion, and resurrection; "a holy nation" (Exodus 19:6) reserved for God, a people he claims for his own (cf Malachi 3:17) in virtue of their baptism into his death and resurrection. This transcends all natural and national divisions and unites the people into one community to glorify the one who led them from the darkness of paganism to the light of faith in Christ. From being "no people" deprived of all mercy, they have become the very people of God, the chosen recipients of his mercy (cf Hosea 1:9; 2:23).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I mean 1 peter chap 2 verse 9 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi could you please help with 1 peter chap 2 verse 9. The topic I'm suppose to do for my church is saved to server I need info on that. I don't know what that mean. Thanks

View more questions Search