Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 09:12 AM
    "Virtual Memory"?
    When I turn my computer on in the morning it is RIDICULOUSLY SLOW - I'm talking like three minutes to open up Excel, or Word. The computer will make noise like it is working on something, which I expect when I turn it on, EXCEPT- it will continue to make the noises for like an hour. After a while, (like 2 hours or so), my computer runs fine - this just seems to be a problem for the first couple of hours when it is turned on. It has also been alerting me that my 'virtual memory is too low' - what does that mean? Is that why it's so slow when it is first turned on? What can I do to fix this? Thanks -
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 03:43 PM

Wikipedia has an article explaining virtual memory. If the computer does not have sufficient actual memory for the number of processes that run simultaneously at startup, the situation can result in "disk thrashing" where portions of memory are repeatedly swapped back and forth to disk as the startup processes complete their tasks and quiesce. During this time the hard drive will run continuously (the noise) and performance may be abysmal. That said, an hour is excessive even for this type of situation, however a process that generates disk activity, such as an antivirus startup scan, can exacerbate the situation to the point on a very low memory computer to where it will take a very very long time to quiesce during which time it may also be unresponsive to input.

Assuming you're using Windows XP (post back if using another version), once the computer is running fine, determine how much memory was required by opening the Task Manager Performance tab. One way is via CTRL-ALT-DELETE, clicking "Task Manager", and then selecting the "Performance" tab. Compare the Peak Commit Charge and Total Physical Memory values. If the Peak value is significantly more than the Total, the more disk activity will result from virtual memory paging. Additional memory can be added to the computer to a total greater than the typical Peak value to eliminate disk activity from constant virtual memory paging, and more is even better.

The virtual memory too low message results when the memory required is more than the configured swap file setting. In Control Panel > System > Advanced > Settings > Advanced the size of the paging file can be changed. A setting of "System managed size" can be used to allow Windows to adjust the size as needed.

Additionally, the number of programs that startup automatically can be reduced to reduce the memory required.

Also, scan your machine for malware.
    Movie Expert

Aug 26, 2010, 09:05 AM

Wow - thank you so much! I'm pretty sure I use Windows 98 - will that change any of the suggestions you have given?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 27, 2010, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aliseaodo View Post
    I'm pretty sure I use Windows 98 - will that change any of the suggestions you have given?
    The concept is the same (have enough actual memory to eliminate swap file usage), but the swap file configuration is via Control Panel > System > Performance tab > Virtual memory and the memory metrics are harder to get to. In Windows 98 there is a System Monitor utility in Programs > Accessories > System Tools that can be installed from the Windows 98 CD (don't think it was installed by default, but memory fuzzy). Within the System Monitor, there are various metrics that can be added to the monitor view. The swapfile usage and allocated memory metrics are under the Memory Management category of the Add Item dialog accessible from the Edit menu. Tech Republic's article on Win98 swap file usage (login may be required, PDF version attached to this post) shows some screen shots of the System Monitor utility and discusses monitoring configuration.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Monitor Windows 98_Me's page file.pdf (85.9 KB, 225 views)
    Movie Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 08:38 AM

Thanks so much for your help! I had a bunch of programs that I never use on the computer (old accounting programs, internet game downloads, etc) deleted, the computer seems to be running a little quicker on start-up, I will have one of my co-workers (much more computer savy than me - not quite as savy as you ;)) follow the suggestions you have given. Thanks again for your time and help! ( I love this site!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My ps2 memory card says that "There is no data" on it? [ 2 Answers ]

When I insert my memory card in the ps2 it shows that "There is no data" but it still has at least 4mb of free space in it anybody know why? My memory card is a 8mb card and my ps2 is a Slim ps2

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

"Hunger of Memory" by Richard Rodriguez [ 1 Answers ]

In "Hunger of Memory", how did education help to assimilate him into American culture? In "Hunger of Memory", in what ways did education create a divide him and his Hispanic culture? In "Hunger of Memory", in what ways did his American education effect his relationship with family members? ...

The instruction at "0x0040651e" referenced memory at "0x00000004". [ 5 Answers ]

Help. Error: The instruction at "0x0040651e" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".Click on OK to terminate the program.

Microsoft works database "out of memory"! [ 3 Answers ]

Yo, Anyone know how I can stop the above message coming up, when I try to print, or even print preview, a nodest little database. Really apreciate your help, Perth, Australia:confused:

View more questions Search