Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    withhope2010 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 08:23 AM
    How can I remove carpet tack strips glued down on stairs?
    HELP PLEASE?! I wish to remove the very old, dust laden :eek: carpets located in the front stairwell.
    I lifted up a corner and see that there are wooden tack strips that are glued down VERY VERY tightly. I tried to pry one up and it was absolutely impossible.
    I would greatly appreciate any tips on a safe product which I can use to remove these wooden strips that are holding the carpets down. :confused:(and any tips on how to remove these wooden tack strips safely?) (My Son has allergies and I would like to know of any safe, (as natural as possible), product, preferably with low toxicity & low odour, which I can use to remove this glue?)
    The stairs are made of some type of 1950's/60's style - a type of stone, which appears as many mixed mottled colours(difficult to describe).
    Thank you!:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 10:26 AM

You are hoping for a chemical fix for the issue and I doubt there is one. However, there is a physical fix. Get a 1" chisel, lay it flat to the floor and drive it between the tackless strip and the floor. You mat dull the chisel after a few feet but it should do the job.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 27, 2010, 06:20 PM

On the chance that some type of construction adhesive was used pour some mineral spirits (paint thinner) around the wood, let it sit for about five minutes then try prying the strip up.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2010, 01:04 AM

Use a carpet stair tool. Start at one end and work your way across

Chuck
    franmurf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2010, 05:59 PM

I would try to use one of the new multimaster tools that have oscillating blades-it is a great tool to have in your toolbox anyway-here are some of your choices Oscillating Multi-Tool Shootout Comparison —Professional tool reviews for the average Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove carpet [ 3 Answers ]

How do I remove carpet from a cement porch?

Best Tye of Carpet for Interior Stairs [ 7 Answers ]

What is the best type of carpet for interior steps? From reading online I know that I want a dense carpet that has a low pile. Can anyone give more specifics? The steps I'm covering are oak with a rounded nose on the edge of the tread. I really like the way the carpet looks on the stairs...

Is it safe to remove 2 studs by the stairs?- (with pictures) [ 2 Answers ]

I still don't know the answer if I can remove the two studs right next to my basement stairs. I got actual pictures from MY basement. DSC07811 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! DSC07807 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! DSC07808 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! I am trying to cut off half of the wall so the...

Is it safe to remove 2 studs by the stairs? [ 1 Answers ]

http://www.hoveycompanies.com/waterview/images/In-unit-Storage.jpg So you see the orange mark on the last stud? I want to take out 2 studs to the left of it but I don't know if its safe.

Carpet glued to cement porch [ 1 Answers ]

How can i remove porch carpeting that was glued down?

View more questions Search