Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 06:38 PM
    Can I put a 150 amp breaker in a 200 amp panel to feed a 150 amp sub panel?
    Can I put a 150 amp breaker in a 200 amp panel to feed a 150 amp sub panel with a 200 amp service?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 08:19 PM

Not likely because the max breaker size for the panel will probably be limited to 100 or 125 A.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 11:52 AM

Okay,

Let's think about this for a moment.

You have a 200 Amp service to your home. You want to divert 150 amps of the 200 amps to service a sub-panel?

Do you realize that your main service would starve while the sub-panel is in use?

Might I suggest this, properly size the load that the sub-panel needs and then determine the size of the breaker and sub-panelboard needed for the sub-panel.

Breakers are normally only sized to an 80% load for example, [edited] a 100 amp breaker will normally carry only 80 amps.

Most garages, that I have seen, use only about 60 Amps which is enough to run some tools, power strips and lights. I have no doubts that there are larger panels and feeders in use, I have never worked on any.

You really need to give us much more information regarding the calculated loads for both the main service panel and the calculated load for sub-panel before we can provide accurate information to you.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2010, 01:15 PM
    Don, Bigdoe asked a simple question, Kiss provided the simple correct answer.

Why all the assumptions?

Bigdoe never stated it was for a home, or garage, or anything.

Many times homeowners get a 200 amp panelboard at a service location, and they don't want to run all the branch circuits to that panel, but want a load center closer to the branch circuits.

See now you got me making assumptions.

Simply answer the questions. In this case it was done.

And, can you explain this statement you made:

Breakers are normally only sized to an 80% load for example, will normally carry only 80 amps.

Aug 25, 2010, 06:29 PM

Okay, TK,

I was not making assumptions, I was using examples for why more information was needed. [edited] The question could have been answered simply by saying, "Look at the panel Spec Sheet to get the largest "Circuit" breaker listed for the panel" and the poster toddles off and puts a 125 amp breaker in to feed a 125 A sub panel to power a 5 bay garage with car lifts, compressors, A/C, Heat ect. How many times have you told me not to assume the poster knows what they are doing, ask them? [edited]

Your case in point, without knowing what the poster is trying to do makes an exact answer difficult.

As to the statement you questioned, there was text missing. The full line should have read, ".. a 100 amp breaker will normally only carry 80 amps."

Aug 27, 2010, 12:16 PM

Just as an aside, I went through some Square D panels and turned up some 200 A panels will allow a "Branch Circuit" breaker up to 200 amps. It is a double throw, 4 pole breaker.

The Panelboard - is P/N QO13040L200G.

So, the correct answer is yes, if the panel specifications allow it.
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Don... Don... Don, what am I going to do with you?

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Ele...0110PL9401.pdf

Gotcha. Well done, that answered the question. And I sure learned something about the product.

And as I reflect, I see what you were, I think, try to warn big doe about, just a different approach.

Using a 200 Amp breaker in a 200 Amp panel really needs wise, and even perhaps, professional advice, and take close look at the application. This 200 Amp breaker should only be used in special cases.

Any use of this breaker requires accurate load calculations to be done on the panel, and upstream of the panel.

I can appreciate the effort in what you found, Square D Digest is not the easiest catalog to navigate, to be polite. Believe me, I am not this polite when I speak with Sq D reps.

I included the available datasheet for the product as back up of your find.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2010, 10:08 PM

At least I'm off the hook too:

Quote Originally Posted by KISS
    Not likely because the max breaker size for the panel will probably be limited to 100 or 125 A.
    Does allow the possibility of donf's answer. You know the old saying: "Never say "Never".

Nice work don.

So, did you get that panel replaced yet?
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2010, 03:17 AM
    I agree Kiss, until Don found this QO 150 and 200 Amp branch circuit breaker, my knowledge was that the maximum branch breaker allowed by all brands of panels was either 100 or 125 amp.

Since I don't do much residential, I don't have much reason to read everything available on the QO brand.

If I needed a 200 amp feeder, I certainly would not consider installing a 150 or 200 amp branch circuit off a 200 amp panelboard.

Honestly, I wish Don did not find it, can give some DIY'er the wrong idea. Lord knows they come up with enough on their own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Updating service panel to 200 amp with feeder to 100 amp panel in old house [ 8 Answers ]

I currently in the process of converting 1000 sq ft of attached garage into living space while doing this we are updating electrical service to 200 amp new service, there is 100 amp service in the old part of the house which will remain but need to be sub paneled from the new 200 amp service. I...

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

100 amp sub panel from 200 amp main panel [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 200 amp main panel. We added another floor and decided to add a new sub panel of 100 amps. Is this OK? Should the wire gage be different from 100 maps? Your help is appreciated.

Going from 150 amp to 200 amp electrical service? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi out there, My names Bill and I'd like to know what exactly is involved in changing from a 150 amp To a 200 amp electrical service? At the moment I have a 150 amp service and would like to upgrade. Does the meter socket box and feed wiring have to be changed? ...

Hot tub on 150 amp panel [ 13 Answers ]

I am looking into hooking up a hot tub to my 150 amp panel. I have 3 unused breakers left in the panel(2@15 amp and 1@20 amp). It also looks like I have some knock-out spots remaining. I have a total of 22 breakers in their spots right now with 19 being used. I have a 2100 sq. ft. home with...

View more questions Search