Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Aug 25, 2010, 01:09 PM

You say the laughing gas wears off quickly. So, about how long does it last? One hour? Two hours?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2010, 01:15 PM
    As soon the dentist is near the end of the procedure he will start increasing the amount of oxygen you are getting until you are on pure oxygen. At this point, you will be feeling pretty much normal and can drive yourself home from your appointment. There will be no lingering effects.

Aug 25, 2010, 01:27 PM

OK... I have an appointment with another dentist who promises to numb me much better than the previous dentist did. Not sure that's going to work. Numbing didn't seem to be the problem. My tooth seemed to be! PLEASE pray that it works out this time! I'm so scared :(

And I will have the laughing gas... I hope it helps.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 01:48 PM

It sounds like you've got it covered. You'll let us know how it goes?

Aug 25, 2010, 02:51 PM

Yes I'll let you guys know. But, don't all dentists use the same anesthesia?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 02:57 PM

My dentist will rub my gum with his finger after he injects me with a very sharp needle. No other dentist ever did that. He will also rub a topical numbing goop on my gum before he gives me shots. I don't know (flossie will), but I think the dentist has a variety of anesthesias to choose from, depending on the patient and the pain threshold.

Sep 16, 2010, 03:07 PM

So, I finally had my root canal started today (the dentist found THREE canals!) and I was sedated with the laughing gas. During the procedure I was WELL relaxed! I felt no pain while they were performing but the minute they removed the oxygen mask, the tooth they were working on started aching. More than an hour later, I am still aching! It's not SOOO bad but it's aching. So, I guess the laughing gas does help with pain :)

I go back next week to complete the root canal.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2010, 03:13 PM
    Some Advil will help with the pain you have right now.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the report. We always like to know what happened!

Did he give you shots of novacaine (or whatever they use nowadays)?

Sep 16, 2010, 03:23 PM

What is Novacaine? He did use shots, he injected something into my gums.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Her View Post
    What is Novacaine? He did use shots, he injected something into my gums.
    Flossie would give you a better explanation. It's a shot(s) to numb the gum around the tooth to be worked on. Usually the effect lasts for about three hours (I've timed it).

Sep 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Flossie would give you a better explanation. It's a shot(s) to numb the gum around the tooth to be worked on. Usually the effect lasts for about three hours (I've timed it).
    Yea I think that's what he gave me! In fact, he might have given me too much! The entire left side of my face numb (including my eye lids)!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 03:31 PM

Is it an upper tooth? Usually my cheek, eye, eye lid, and even part of my brain go numb for several hours.

Sep 16, 2010, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Is it an upper tooth? Usually my cheek, eye, eye lid, and even part of my brain go numb for several hours.
    Yes it's an upper tooth... Your brain goes numb?? LOL!!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 16, 2010, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Her View Post
    Yes it's an upper tooth...Your brain goes numb????? LOL!!!
    At least, that's my excuse -- it's the Novacaine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Songs talking about laughing [ 3 Answers ]

I heard a song on the radio today, it was a man singing about all he wants in life is to laugh, or something like that. I can't remember the song title, and I would really like to share this song with my boyfriend because it is so sweet! Please help!

Using laughing gas on my two year old son [ 3 Answers ]

My son went to the ped. Dentist yesturday he needs his 4 frint teeth removed and a root canal on one od them , my question is when they use 'laughing gas' on him will he feel them working on him and the pain she gets scard easy what dose laughing gas do to you do you fell anything are you aware for...

Jokes for your laughing pleasure! [ 22 Answers ]

Question: Are you an organ donor? Answer: No, but I once gave an old piano to the Salvation Army! A young boy visited his neighbor and asked him if he could see his "trap". The neighbor replied "My trap, what do you mean I don't have a "My trap, what do you mean I don't have a "? The boy...

Laughing Gas [ 10 Answers ]

Is laughing gas (nitros oxide or something like that) harmful? I have a friend who's dad is a dentist and has an office next to her house. She and some of my friends have gone down there and used the laughing gas to kind of get high like with drugs but not as bad. They say it just makes them...

Laughing as I orgasm [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend as often laughed at the many times he can give me an orgasm within one time of making love he's even tried to count at one point but after the fifth one he lost count. He's just gotten a divorce four months ago and we're moving her things out the apt (she took off to cali leaving their...

View more questions Search