Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marianbergmann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Parents deeded land to children before their death, tax consequence upon sale of land
    What is tax consequentce on sale of land that was deeded to children before death of parents (now deceased)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 24, 2010, 07:49 AM

You will have to pay capital gains taxes on the difference between the proceeds you realize (sales price less cost of sale) and your cost bais. This assumes that you have not used the property as your principal residence, and that it has not been a rental property. Since the property was gifted to the children, the cost basis used in determining capital gains when the children later sell the property is based on either (a) the original cost basis for the parents plus all capital improvements made since they origially purchased the property, or (b) the fair market value (FMV) at the time of the gift plus capital improvemengts made since then. The determination of whether to use (a) or (b) is based on whether the FMV was higher or lower then the parents' original cost basis, and also whether this results in a gain or loss. Usually you have to use (a), but you should review the section titled "Home received as gift" in the following IRS web site to make sure: Publication 523 (2009), Selling Your Home

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My bro-in-law owned 40 ac. Of land we have lived on the land for 5 yrs, can the heirs [ 1 Answers ]

-my brother-in-law ask my husband and I to move onto his land with him. He has died and left no will. The land goes to his kids. The question is can they make us move off the land even though we were to live there as long as we wanted to.

Sale of property (land only) in the Philippines by a US citizen. Tax implications? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My retired mother is selling her real estate property (land only) in the Philippines. She needs the money to support herself. As a US citizen, does she have to pay income or capital gains tax in the US? How can she bring the proceeds from the sale to the US? If she needs to pay US tax,...

US tax for sale of land in mexico while in L1B status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm a mexican citizen. I was wondering whether I need to pay US taxes for a sale of land in Mexico while legally working in US under L1B non-immigrant status. The money of the sale was never deposited in a US bank account, but in a mexican account on my name. I'll appreciate a lot your...

View more questions Search