Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 07:54 PM
    Ask this Old House episode using pipe dope on compression fittings
    This episode aired this past weekend where they updated a kitchen with a dishwasher, custom counter top with built-in sink, dishwasher and stove.

One thing they did was used pipe dope on the sealing surface of compression fittings.

What's your opinion on this?

And one no no: It looked like they used a BX connector rather than a NM-B connector for the range hood.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 10:20 PM

I saw that too and questioned it. Seems like it would defeat the principle of a compression fitting. Might have some merit if the original fitting was being reinstalled after being taken apart which is what may have been the situation with that dishwasher. I have also heard of applying teflon or oil lubricant on installation to assist with getting a fitting apart later if need be; perhaps that was the intent. Write 'em a questioning letter, maybe you'll get a t-shirt.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 10:57 PM

I will use plumber's grease.

Compression is a funky fitting anyway. In industry I was using Swagelok with a pre swaging tool. Loved the fittings.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 24, 2010, 06:31 AM

One thing they did was used pipe dope on the sealing surface of compression fittings.

What's your opinion on this?
    After the compression nut split on a angle stop and flooded a condo unit to the tune of $27,000.00 the manufacture, Brass Craft, sentb us a letter telling us that they would not honor the warranty if the ferules were coated with pipe dope. Seems the pipe compound swelled and cracked the compression nut.
    Regards, Tom
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 06:33 AM

That's a really good reason not to do it. Thanks, Tom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can anything be used to soften very old pipe dope on brass pipe fittings? [ 16 Answers ]

Brass water valve needs to be replaced, it's in a very tight location to afford a large wrench good grip and leverage. It is cracked -probably done by me trying to muscle it out. So do I have to cut it out?

Plastic compression fittings how to [ 3 Answers ]

Which is the proper orientation for a plastic compression ring? Large end towards the outlet pipe or into the compression nut?

Compression fittings not in far enough [ 1 Answers ]

I just fixed my old dishwasher line and I had to cut out a leak. I had enough copper tubing to just reroute the remaining tubing into the valve stop. However, it is an older house and the outside diameter of the tubing was a bit wider than what we use now. I got the nut on as far as I could and...

Teflon or Pipe Dope for 1 1/4" Water Pipe [ 7 Answers ]

I am building a project that uses several joints of 1 1/4 " galvanized pipe, including elbows and Tee's. The unit will be plumbed into my 50 psi water system. What is the best way to seal the pipe joints? I have assembled the unit and tested using teflon pipe dope and had several leaks.

View more questions Search