Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    webbyduckfeet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2003, 12:04 PM
    Morals/bible says?
    I have searched my Bible several times but have yet to find a direct answer to the following. I would really appreciate help and/or verses to the following!
    1. Are tattoos "bad"? One verse in the old testament said to not tattoo yourself, but that was the old testament... does it still apply?
    2. Is it a sin to have sex before marriage? Thru-out the Bible it says do not be sexually immoral, but to what degree? What should not be done, or what can be, etc?

Well... those are two of the things I've been wondering about latley. Thanks for your time
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 2, 2003, 11:03 PM
    morals/bible says?
    There are many prohibitions in the OT that still apply to us. Fore example, we as Christians should not murder, steal, commit adultery, give false testimony, and disrespect our parents. These things are still in effect and were not abolished by the New Covenant. They were simply transferred to be required under the Christian expression of love toward neighbor. Another thing to take very seriously is that the NT God is the Same OT God. If the OT God tells us that he finds something detestable, then we must assume that the NT God, who is the same God, still finds it detestable.

For example, homosexuality is described that way in the OT.

Leviticus 18:22
    " 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.
    (Whole Chapter: Leviticus 18 In context: Leviticus 18:21-23)

The NT makes it also very clear that sex is legal only between married couples. Anything other than this is described as either fornication or adultery.

1 Corinthians 7:9
    But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
    tototu Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Jun 4, 2003, 07:51 AM
    morals/bible says? health and prosperity
    I appreciate what Starman has to say and would like to take it a step further.

In the OT, men were introduced to a God far different from all others. Until the 10 commandments, all law pertaining to deity was directed at serving and pleasing that deity. Our God taught us how to live with one another in peace, health and prosperity. He separated us from the rest of the world.

Now as a NT believer, the scriptures clearly say that we are no longer under the bondage of law. The purpose of the law was to convict us. Men were hopelessly corrupt and disobedient to the law. History gives no argument against that. Jesus' death and resurrection made the law of no effect. We have been set free, indeed!

So what purpose does the law serve in our lives now? The same as in OT times. If we obey, it brings peace, health and prosperity in fellowship with men. In things eternal, we have already gained that through Jesus. To fulfill the law is to act in love, and against that man can bring no (true) charge.

So why no tribal markings (tatoos) today? I have no need to stir the passions or fears of an enemy. My God is my strength, my protector, and my advocate. And most, and beyond all, I love Him and respect His desires for me, for He is my Peace.

;D ;D ;D
    webbyduckfeet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2003, 03:39 PM
    morals/bible says?
    I just want to say thanks for the responses ;D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red Letter Bible: Fyi [ 4 Answers ]

RED LETTER BIBLE: FYI Some may not be aware of the origin of the Red Letter Bible. Thus my purpose in sharing the following. Bobbye ==========. THE RED LETTER BIBLE There are millions of people who read the Bible daily, yet few may know why some publishers print the words of Jesus...

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

The Background to the Bible [ 1 Answers ]

Thinking about something Keenu wrote about the background to the Bible wouldn't it be accurate to say that it didn't have one single background but each book of the Bible had its own background? What thoughts do you have? MORGANITE

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search