Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Aug 23, 2010, 04:54 PM

And when I say ease the pain/infection... I mean make the root canal procedure less painful.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 04:55 PM
    I'm sorry but I don't. I would think that whatever you try to do to kill the nerve is going to hurt more than what you felt at the dentist!

Is the pain still real bad now?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 04:58 PM

flossie, something wrong with this discussion and this thread. I am thinking trollish. You asked the same questions I did.

Tick
    Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Her View Post
    It was very painful...it reacted to hot, cold and sweet food! The tooth next to it was extracted, and therefor the tooth had a little chip or opening if that's what you'd call it.
    That isn't a good reason to do a root canal on a good tooth. There are other ways to correct the discomfort on a long term basis without invasive surgery.

Tick
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 05:01 PM

That's the point of root canal, to kill the nerve. I certainly wouldn't try anything myself. Just because your mouth is numb, that doesn't mean messing with a certain tooth will be painless. He's got to really anesthetize the tissue all round the right tooth.

Aug 23, 2010, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    That isnt a good reason to do a root canal on a good tooth. There are other ways to correct the discomfort on a long term basis without invasive surgery.

tick
    But several dentist saw it and said I needed a root canal. UGH it's getting so fustrating.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 05:03 PM

Do any dentists in your area use sedation? My son swears by it.

Aug 23, 2010, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't. I would think that whatever you try to do to kill the nerve is going to hurt more than what you felt at the dentist!

Is the pain still real bad now?
    Not at this very moment. I think the numbness is still in effect. He filled the open space with some white stuff. Perhaps that's stopping the pain. So, what are other possible options (besides root canal)?
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 05:04 PM
    I suggest you wait for a few days. Let the antibiotics and advil kick in. For better pain relief at the present you could alternate Advil and Tylenol every 2 hours. Take 2 Advil now and in 2 hours take 2 Tylenol and keep that pattern going until the pain is under control.

Only take these if you aren't allergic to them!
    Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 05:04 PM
    But several dentist saw it and said I needed a root canal. UGH it's getting so fustrating.
    Yes, this whole thread is getting out of hand, Mini because nothing can be resolved because we can't see what has been done and we don't know your oral history.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
    The white stuff is probably cotton. If the pain gets unbearable, like there is pressure building up in the tooth, remove the cotton.

Aug 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do any dentists in your area use sedation? My son swears by it.
    That's what my dentist suggested--that I find a dentist who does sedation. But would it make me stay asleep throughout the procedure? Would I wake up during the procedure? Severe pain usually wakes a person up, you know..

Aug 23, 2010, 05:06 PM
    The white stuff is probably cotton. If the pain gets unbearable, like there is pressure building up in the tooth, remove the cotton.
    Don't think it's cotton. It doesn't feel like it. But if I remove the cotton, wouldn't that be dangerous, considering my tooth is open? The dentist had started drilling to open the tooth... that's why he filled it before I left.

Aug 23, 2010, 05:09 PM
    I suggest you wait for a few days. Let the antibiotics and advil kick in. For better pain relief at the present you could alternate Advil and Tylenol every 2 hours. Take 2 Advil now and in 2 hours take 2 Tylenol and keep that pattern going until the pain is under control.

Only take these if you aren't allergic to them!
    Thanks... Never thought of that.. Every 2 hours? Do you know if Amoxicillian really kills infections?
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
    If pressure builds up then removing the cotton will relieve the pain caused by the pressure.

There are a couple of ways to have sedation. One is conscious sedation, you are awake and can respond through the whole procedure but you really don't care about what is happening. The other is general anesthetic where you are put to sleep. You will not wake up until the procedure is over. When you are put "under" you are as close to being in a comatose state as you can safely be. You WON'T be waking up because you WON'T feel ANYTHING!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
    That's what my dentist suggested--that I find a dentist who does sedation. But would it make me stay asleep throughout the procedure? Would I wake up during the procedure? Severe pain usually wakes a person up, ya know..
    It's a sort of twilight sleep. I had it done with a colonoscopy last fall, and there's no pain or memory, quick recovery, yet I could follow directions if the doctor told me to move left or right. My son has never remembered any pain or uncomfortableness, had four procedures done at one time over 2.5 hours (mostly fillings). You shouldn't wake up, and you shouldn't experience any pain.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 05:11 PM
    Yes, amoxicillin is the ideal antibiotic for oral infections.

Aug 23, 2010, 05:13 PM
    If pressure builds up then removing the cotton will relieve the pain caused by the pressure.

There are a couple of ways to have sedation. One is conscious sedation, you are awake and can respond through the whole procedure but you really don't care about what is happening. The other is general anesthetic where you are put to sleep. You will not wake up until the procedure is over. When you are put "under" you are as close to being in a comatose state as you can safely be. You WON'T be waking up because you WON'T feel ANYTHING!
    OHHH OK! I guess that's what the dentist tried to explain. I didn't clearly understand him. He said one sedation calling laughing gas would make me feel "high"... I guess that's the first sedation that you mentioned? The second sedation seems better. It's better to not feel anything. But suppose I do try the laughing gas sedation, would I feel the pain? I understand you said it would take my mind away and I won't care but that doesn't seem to be less painful.

Aug 23, 2010, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It's a sort of twilight sleep. I had it done with a colonoscopy last fall, and there's no pain or memory, quick recovery, yet I could follow directions if the doctor told me to move left or right. My son has never remembered any pain or uncomfortableness, had four procedures done at one time over 2.5 hours (mostly fillings). You shouldn't wake up, and you shouldn't experience any pain.
    LOL... Wow. So you were asleep but able to respond and move at the doctor's request?

Aug 23, 2010, 05:15 PM
    Yes, amoxicillin is the ideal antibiotic for oral infections.
    Even if the tooth has been painful for over a year?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I really need a root canal? [ 3 Answers ]

April 2008: - my dentist put a filling into the top of my back, bottom molar -- she noted that it was a pretty small filling - the tooth didn't bother me at all prior to this - a couple days later I started getting an acute, sharp pain when I chewed on that side

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I had a re-do on a root canal on my upper right no.2 molar last one in back, wisdom teeth have been extracted. X-rays showed a cyst or pocket of infected area, or something. Re-do was successful though pocket area did not drain. I have had trouble focusing with my right eye before re-do and since,...

Re doing root canal [ 1 Answers ]

Before 16 years ago I have root canal and after that I have surgery (apicoectomy) .last year I put one bridge upper and now on tooth #8 I have pocket and I went to dentist ,they took x-ray and he said that the root canal failed and I have to do one more surgery.he said that if he do the root canal...

Root Canal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There I just had the first part of a root canal done today... you know the part where they make a nice big hole in the tooth and take everything out... I have a temporary filling for now but I was wondering if there is anything special that I could do to "baby" this thing so there are no...

Root canal [ 2 Answers ]

I am on antibiotics for a root canal that is infected, it still swells and is uncomfortacle when I lay down at night. I had it exrayed , it wasn't cracked looked good, but is it bad since it won't get better at night. I have a temporary crown on it and when it swells is hits my bottom teeth is that...

View more questions Search