Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itsjennifer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Yahoo E-mail
    I've received an e.mail from Yahoo saying my password has been changed. My secret question is no longer applicable (I opened that account in 1999) I need to be able to contact Yahoo directly for assistance as I have family photos and personal info in that account. Their online help is useless.
    Regards
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2006, 04:42 PM
    You are screwed.

Sorry to put it so bluntly, but there is nothing you can do.

Why?

Someone hacked into your account and changed your secret question.

How is Yahoo suppose to know that YOU are really the person to whom the account belongs to?

It sucks, yes.

Next time don't store important information and pictures on a web based mail system.

Unfortunately things like this happen.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 23, 2006, 06:39 PM
    While its not likely, there may be some hope. You need to contact Yahoo thur the Help screens and see if you can get someone to help. There is other info you used to setup the account that may help identify you to reset things.
    dxviii Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Dec 23, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Contacting Yahoo is a waste of time. I had a plus account that was hacked and I even told them what Credit Card I used to purchase it and they still wouldn't help.

Dec 23, 2006, 08:03 PM
    I know of people who have regained access to their account by contacting Yahoo. Its rare, but its possible so its worth the effort to try.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2006, 08:48 PM
    The problem is that the hacker has appeared to CHANGE the secret question.

Therefore, they also probably changed the personal information.

Furthermore, they also might have deleted this person's email content as well.

But you are right, it doesn't hurt to ask. But from the stories I have heard, Yahoo has been no help at all.

Perhaps they are better on the email accounts you pay for, but I am referring to the free email accounts they offer.

Dec 24, 2006, 05:32 AM
    Yahoo maintains a history of an account, so changing the secret question does not necessarily mean previous info is lost. Though if the e-mails were deleted they would be gone. But, if someone took over the account its unlikely they would have done that.

Its not easy to contact Yahoo or to get the account back, but it is possible.

One other point here. Its unlikely the account was "hacked". Most of the time, what actually happens is someone the person knows has guessed the password and done this has a prank or revenge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Returning mail [ 15 Answers ]

Hello, I had a very abbusive and controlling child hood. As an adult I've decided to exclude my parents from my life. I did seek councling for this at one time. And this was really the best path for me to take. Recently my parents are trying to fight for grandparent rights. I do have...

E-Mail notifications [ 1 Answers ]

I have windows 98 and use Yahoo e mail. How do I program so I get e-mail notifications While I'm using computer?

Definitely The Best E-mail Of The Year ! [ 9 Answers ]

A man was sick and tired of going to work every day while his wife stayed home. He wanted her to see what he went through so he prayed: "Dear Lord: I go to...

Getting back a sent e-mail [ 5 Answers ]

Hello.. Is there any way to unsend a sent e-mail. I just sent a nasty e-mail to someone because I misunderstood something that someone else said. I would like her to not read it but. I thought there was a way to do it if you were using a certain e-mail program but I can't really remember. ...

Yahoo E-Mail [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- When I am reading Yahoo E-mail, the date and how big the message is are off the screen--I have to use the right arrow toget to that--How can I get it back where the whole screen shows up--Thank u very much---

View more questions Search