Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 09:49 AM
    Asbestos
    Not sure if I'm in the correct forum for this question, but I'm wanting to know where in my home I might find asbestos? (bought my husbands grandmothers property - nice land, but there is an old mobile that has a lot of editions built on it that we are living in while we plan the building of a new home.) I pulled down some wallpaper in the bathroom, which came off pretty easy, only to find MORE wallpaper - it was almost impossible to pull off the second layer, it was stuck tight, I managed to get some off, then got frustrated and just painted over it with oil-based Kilz for the primer, and some bathroom approved paint. My question is this - is there a possibility that there was asbestos involved in the second layer of wallpaper? It looked OLD, like 1960's. Should I be worried?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 12:03 PM

There is always a chance of asbestos in older home, usually in floor tile and paint. Nobody can tell from just looking at these materials if they have asbestos, only a test can tell. If you painted over the wall paper with KILZ then you have encapsulated it and its much safer.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks ballengerb1 - my husband was pretty sure we were fine, I just needed a bit of assurance...

Aug 23, 2010, 01:15 PM

You can buy a test kit at most hardware stores
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 04:54 PM

Bob,
    I've never heard of asbestos being in wall paper. Have you?

Aug 23, 2010, 07:46 PM

In some adhesives and paste but not the paper.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 08:00 PM

AC pipes and ducts.
    Insulation AC, pipe and wall.
    Plaster.
    Floor tile and it's adhesives.
    Asbestos siding.
    Construction adhesives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have been exposed to asbestos [ 7 Answers ]

I live in a 100 year old house which I have been renovating for many years. My laundry machines are in the basement which has a tile floor. Over the years, a significant number of tiles have cracked and broken and I would pick them up and throw them away. Two weeks ago someone told me that...

Is this asbestos ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey! Is this asbestos ? Its on a old oil boiler for heat in the house , it goes water true the pipes.:confused: Imageshack - 71363389.jpg Imageshack - 54125427.jpg Imageshack - 45345688.jpg

Asbestos in bolier? [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get rid of our old boiler that was replaced that is unfortunately still sitting in our basement. I'm not sure if it has asbestos in it. It is a GM Delco-Heat boiler. Please help.

Asbestos in ceiling. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I need an opinion. If you are familiar with the "asbestos in the ceiling" issue, then keep reading (or research it first). I have been leaving in my current apartment for the past 3 years... and (how ignorant I must have been) I just realized that I have popcorn ceiling in my apartment...

Asbestos? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking into replacing my wood siding on my house (Chicago)that was built in 1956. I was going to strip off the old and put some new siding up BUT on further inspection I noticed a drywall type insulation between the plywood and the siding. It's about a 1/2 in thick and it looks like drywall...

View more questions Search