Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lvhalterman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 03:11 AM
    Have odd floor,sunken living room and family room and want it all one level
    My living room and family room are sunken with ceramic tile on top, How would I make it one leverl?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 02:20 PM

How deep is the sunken part?Assuming you have the appropriate ceiling height, build a subfloor over the existing floor. You may have to cut standard size joists to fit, 16 inch centers. Deck it with Advantech, OSB or plywood and install a finish floor. Check the permitted weight load, you might need to put more support under the floor. All of your outlets will be lower and so will the wall switches. This is not a hard job but requires a lot of preplanning to make sure the height works with the other floor levels.
    lvhalterman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2010, 03:55 PM

My husband brought it to my attention that the only rooms raised are the entrance, kitchen and dining room. The rest of the house is sunken, living room, family room, all bathrooms and bedrooms. The suken part is about 6 inches. Any suggestion
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 05:07 PM

With that much floor below another, it would be cost prohibitive to raise them. You'd spend many thousands and ceilings would probably be too low. When was the house built, sounds like early 70's ranch style, soft contemporary? Some things you have to live with. I raised a porch to be level with a dining room and lowered a deck to make 2 levels, but your project is pretty daunting. Raising toilets, plumbing vents and drains, possibly HVAC. Maybe someone will like your house and you can buy another that is more to your liking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odd problem with lving room outlets [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I had three outlets in my living room stop working, but the rest of the house lights and outlets worked OK. I measured the voltage on the outlets that stopped working with a digital meter and they measured 20 volts. This house has the older round screw in type of fuses, with the 60 amp...

Could I have a pipe leak under my living room floor? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed that when I walk over a small area of my living room floor the carpet feels damp/cool. I thought it was maybe a water spill from my toddler, but it's been over 24 hours and in fact feels as though the damp/cool area is spreading a little. There is no squishiness in the carpet, nor...

Keeping living room/floor above a garage warm [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all. I live in a house where the living room is directly above a garage with a new insulate garage door. The living room floor is insulated. However on really cold days the air infiltration through the floor above the garage is ridiculous. What can I do to better isolate that space above...

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

View more questions Search