Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donalj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 06:38 PM
    Suing husband's mistress
    My sisters husband had an affair ,and a baby was born August 13th.The woman's own marriage was broken up by another woman.She berated a young girl who had a little fling with a married man.The woman knew the financial,emotional and mental strain that an affair and resulting divorce causes,and berated the other young girl,but willfully and knowlingly had her own affair with a married man.Can she be sued for financial losses to my sister if her husband leaves her?Thanks Sincerely Don
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 02:49 AM

I’ve never heard of it being done but it would be interesting finding out. Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2010, 04:53 AM

This is a legal question so has been moved to the appropriate forum. Please make sure to choose an appropriate forum for your questions in the future.

Anyone can sue anyone over anything. The question is whether such a suit could be won. The answer to that is generally no. I don't believe there is any precedence for it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 06:10 AM

It's called alienation of affection and your sister can sue if she lives in one of the following States: Hawaii, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, Utah.

There was a recent lawsuit in NY, the married person won, the decision was appealed as going against the law.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It's called alienation of affection and your sister can sue if she lives in one of the following States: Hawaii, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, Utah.

There was a recent lawsuit in NY, the married person won, the decision was appealed as going against the law.
    An interesting story from Rapid City Journal,
    "In 2002, a federal jury in Sioux Falls awarded a man $950,000 in damages from an orthopedic surgeon from Las Vegas, who had an affair with the man's wife, ultimately leading to their divorce.

According to court documents, the lovers grew up together in rural South Dakota, dated briefly in 1978, and married other people. Then, by chance, they met again 20 years later, at the Sioux Falls hospital the woman worked at.

They rekindled their romance, admitting to each other the mistake they made in parting ways 20 years earlier, exchanging phone calls and gifts and going on trips to San Francisco and Europe. The affair ended a year later, according to court documents, with the surgeon urging the woman to go back to her husband.

On appeal in 2003, a judge decreased the damages to $400,000, but news of the case triggered at least one effort to get alienation of affection struck from the books."
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 23, 2010, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donalj View Post
    Can she be sued for financial losses to my sister if her husband leaves her?
    If her intention is to sue him for financial loses then she will lose the case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue the mistress? [ 8 Answers ]

Can I sue my soon to be ex-husbands mistress I live in New Jersey she lives in New York city. I found out they have been together for at least 20 years. I called her when she answered and I told her Iwho I was she hung up the phone on me.

Am I a mistress now? [ 11 Answers ]

I am in a strange situation & have tried to find info every where about but to no luck. So I hope someone can perhaps give me their insight on it. Here goes. I was engaged to a man I had been in a relationship with for 3 yrs. He was 34 & I was 37 at the time, I am 42 & he's 39 now. A old...

Why Become a Mistress? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm referring to a woman in an extended sexual relationship with a married man not her husband. Interestingly, "The Free Dictionary by Farlex" notes: "English has no shortage of terms for women whose behavior is viewed as licentious, but it is difficult to come up with a list of comparable...

MIL is husband's guardian, she's suing me for visitation and custody! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, This one's FULL of family dynamics but I'll just keep it as short as possible. I got legally separated from my husband in May 2005. In October 2005, when he got back from Iraq, he started exercising visitation rights with our son who was 18 months old at that time. Six months later in March...

An x-mistress has questions: [ 9 Answers ]

So I've been a married man's mistress for the last 7 months. We've been busted by his wife and our relationship is over- he is trying to save his marriage for the sake of his kids. I'm left alone, missing him, angry, hurt, without his support. I've turned to this forum for advice. I'm on the road...

View more questions Search