Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artteacher Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 09:13 PM
    Birthmom to birthmom real advice
    I am advertising for a private adoption situation and have been contacted by mothers of birthmoms who are researching adoption for their daughters. In both situations it seems that they are not finding the answers to the questions that serve their best interests. Can anyone tell me where I can advise them to get that info. As someone hoping to meet the family who will be a part of our future, I'm not sure that advising them to go to an adoption agency for counseling would be in my own interest. Are there birthmom support groups these girls could contact in the Virginia area that they could contact to hear about the pros and cons before they make such a life altering decision?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2010, 01:54 PM

Why would directing them to an adoption agency not be in your best interest?

An adoption agency would be the best resource available, regardless if they were ultimately to use the agency or go the private route. I would direct them to a quality, not for profit agency that they feel comfortable with. Remember, the services offered by adoptions agencies are free for birth parents.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 30, 2010, 02:21 PM

Depending on the adoption agency, it WOULD be in their best interest to direct them there.

I strongly suggest non-profit agencies (like Lutheran Social Services or Catholic Social Services) over private agencies though.

LSS also has a HUGE network of birthmother support groups (I've been involved in a few of their groups over the years due to several moves).

In addition, there are counselors that specialize in adoption issues--many OB/Gyns know how to get that information if they do not have it already.

Planned Parenthood also has a good network of adoption support groups/birthmother support groups.

Kudos to you for caring about the birthfamily as a whole :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find my birthmom? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am currently searching for my birthmom. I was adopted when I was 19days old. And all I know is my name before I got adopted and the hospital I was born. I live in ny and currently 20years old. If anyone know anything that can help me, I would strongly appreciate it. This is very...

Wanting to find my birthmom & or dad [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wanting to find my birth parents... I just want to meet them. How does one do that? Also I'm 35 and was adopted at birth. :)

I'm trying to find my birthmom. [ 3 Answers ]

:(hi I'm chrissy whitehead. I am 14 years old. I live in newburgh Indiana. I'm looking for my birth parents. I don't know any other way to find them. I know my birthmoms name is lisa johnson. I don't know my dads name. He doesn't know I exsit. She never told him. She was in a fight with her...

Any real psychics out there? Some advice needed [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, If there are any real psychics out there, I could use some advice. I was dating someone last year and fell in love. He broke it off last winter, but I have a gut feeling that he may be back someday. My birthday is 1/8/65 and his is 6/30/64. Psychics , does anyone see him coming back...

View more questions Search