Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueiyz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 03:30 PM
    How to claim my thai wife
    Hello I am a natural born citazin and my wife is thai. She doesn't have a SSN # yet.She has been here in the states with me for 8 months. My question is how do I claim her on my tax return to get the best deduction? Thank you

Gre4gg Blevins

US navy
    clouded Posts: 31, Reputation: 3
    -

Dec 22, 2006, 07:58 PM
    You can't. It would be very messed up if you were allowed to. Why don't you make her legal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2006, 10:15 PM
    Can I assume this is for the US??

If so, she does not have a SS number but is she a citizen ?

If she is citizen, then she needs to apply for and get a SS card, it does not take that long to apply and get one.

If she is not a citizen, she needs to be come one.

Next you don't claim a wife as a dependent, you can merely file married, instead of either married filing jointly.or some other filing status
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Gregg:

Believe I answered this via e-mail. Here is the text of that e-mail:

What is involved is actually rather simple, however. You must complete Form W-7 (which can be downloaded from www.irs.gov) and mail it (along with a notarized photocopy of your wife's passport) to the IRS at the address in the W-7 instructions WITH your 2006 tax return. The W-7 is an application for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), which can be substituted for the SSN for tax returns and other official uses until she qualifies for a SSN.

You put your wife's name under yours on the tax return, leaving the SSN area BLANK. Your filing status is Married Filing Jointly, as your wife should be opting to be treated as a resident alien (most advantageous way to file if she is not working).

The IRS will review the application, issue the ITIN, insert it where her SSN would be on the tax return, process the return, then send her the ITIN in a separate correspondence to the address on the tax return. Once you receive her ITIN, you can then file your state tax return. The process takes about six weeks during tax season.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil Claim [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know the statute of limitations for a civil suite against a convicted sex offender (family)

Claim gone bad [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a home with an ex-boyfriend we took two lines of credit out on the home while he was still living there two of his credit cards were paid off in order for us to qualify. A year later I caught him cheating again he quit claimed the house to me, It was notarized and recorded. I refinanced...

Where to claim deduction? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know how and where to claim the deductions allowed under the India-US treaty. Do I add both the standard & personal deductions and put it under exemptions of form 1040? Also, do I claim both the deductions (3200 + 5000=$8000) on the state tax form as well? thanks in...

Claim as Dependent? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B and my wife is on H4. My son is a US citizen who was born in 2004. My wife and kid were out of US for 11 and a half months visiting my country on a vacation. I have the following questions: 1. Can I still file with "Married Filling Jointly" status? 2. Can I still claim my...

View more questions Search