Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TamiL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 02:34 PM
    A fistula after a root canal?
    Hi all, I need some help please! I had a pretty bad toothache last week on the top and noticed a hard white bump above the tooth that was hurting. I went to the dentist and showed him the bump and he took x-rays and said I need a root canal. He put me on antibiotics and set up the root canal appt 4 days later. Well had the root canal and it went fine. Didn't even really have that much pain for about 3 days after the root canal. But it is now Day 4 and the tooth seems to hurt some now but the BUMP is twice larger and is so painful you don't even want to touch it, it even hurts to touch my face there while putting on makeup. I'm still on the antibiotics taking for a day! I plan to call the dentist after xmas if it is still hurting. Can anyone tell me why this bump seems to be getting worse after the root canal. Is it going to just go away or burst or what??
    Please help with any info...
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 22, 2006, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TamiL
    Hi all, I need some help please! I had a pretty bad toothache last week on the top and noticed a hard white bump above the tooth that was hurting. I went to the dentist and showed him the bump and he took xrays and said I need a root canal. He put me on antibiotics and set up the root canal appt 4 days later. Well had the root canal and it went fine. Didnt even really have that much pain for about 3 days after the root canal. But it is now Day 4 and the tooth seems to hurt some now but the BUMP is twice larger and is so painful you don't even want to touch it, it even hurts to touch my face there while putting on makeup. I'm still on the antibiotics taking 4 a day! I plan to call the dentist after xmas if it is still hurting. Can anyone tell me why this bump seems to be getting worse after the root canal. Is it going to just go away or burst or what????
    Please help with any info...................................
    Your dentist is the best one qualified to determine what the bump is and has the duty to inform you. The persistence of and worsening of pain might mean that there is some type of complication which your doctor has to take care of. Sometimes things get worse because the prescribed medicine isn't doing its job properly. I would contact him immediately. He might want to replace your antibiotics or take some other remedial measures.

Root Canal Treatment Info

http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyKL...entistry21.com

http://www.atlantadentist.com/root_c...plication.html

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/healt...sp?index=10904
    Pressard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Root canal represents a simple procedure to save a tooth that is severely damaged or deeply decayed.

That can happen you have a fistula after a root canal if there were bacteria to remain inside canals after the treatment.

For more information:

Root Canal Complications,what happened?
    slanea9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2010, 12:49 PM
    I too am going through the same thing but mine has been a 10 week nightmare. I have a fistula after root canal but the lump is farther back than your average abcess so an oral surgeon, endodontist and my dentist can't figure out what it is. I have figured it out weeks ago after 3 root canals to same tooth, 6 series of antibiotics and the gum spitting open 3 times. My lymph glands on that side have been swollen for 10 weeks and I just want the damn tooth pulled "but we must save the tooth" yes let's just kill the whales and dolphins but we must save a tooth that is 5o years old and no one sees. I have never met a dentist I liked starting at age 6. Anyway I am going to a different oral surgeon in about an 1 hour and pray to God this nightmare ends. Good luck to anyone with teeth problems.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2010, 02:45 PM
    Slanea,

I hope that you will finally see someone who will consider all that you have already been through with the tooth and listen to your request to remove it. Once it's removed you will have to think about how you are going to replace it if it is worth replacing.

Good luck today!
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Jan 22, 2010, 05:56 PM

Well your body will attempt to remove the pus that is in there but sometimes it needs help (needs to be drained)... go to the dentist
    slokmer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 02:13 AM
    Hi guys, I have a similar problem. Please let me know what are my options.

I have root canal 1st treatment on the tooth No 2, after my dentist said that the nerve is dead and there is a danger of inflammation. I had occasional pain on that tooth once in a year. I was told that I will not have pain after the 1st treatment, as I was going on a week holiday in 5 days. First 2 days I have slight pain, and it was OK afterwards. First day of my holiday, I got a pain, which did not stop for a week. Took all possible pain killers. As soon as I came back from a holiday I went to my dentist, and she said that my gums get irritated and, as I have gum disease, that is causing a pain. She gave me antibiotics and clean the tooth gums. After that I got fistulas above my tooth and pain is still there. What went wrong? I did not have any pain, and after 2 treatments and $500 spent, I have constant pain and fistulas on top. Please let me know what are my options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root Canal Problem [ 8 Answers ]

After five years of 3 different re-constructions on a cracked/ decayed big back tooth, the nerve started to die (v.painful) and has been removed. I now have a temp filling and am awaiting full root canal treatment in a few (6) weeks. When I had temp filling it gave me a disgusting rotting food...

Root canal after permanent crown [ 4 Answers ]

Just found out that I need a root canal after my permanent crown has been put in. My bottom left far back molar had cracked requiring a crown. The tooth which had a filling in it looked good with no decay when the dentist prepared the tooth for the crown. After two weeks with the new crown, pain...

Post root canal [ 1 Answers ]

I had a root canal done yesterday morning on the last molar, upper left side (not wisdom tooth). On the 4th root, the dentist popped through the tooth (I could feel it and the drill temporarily got stuck). I am still having the same amount of pain and throbbing in the area, which I was told could...

Crown lengthening and root canal [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I had a root canal done on my first upper back molar and it was sore for a few days after it was done and even after that it was never completely normal. It felt a little like its root tips inside the bone were a bit strange - not achey or pain- just a little weird. Two months later, I have...

Root canal tooth came out [ 1 Answers ]

My back tooth which had a root canal and crown just came out, crown and tooth intact with a silver post. I don't know what to do. Help, I don't think the dentist is in his office until Monday and it is Friday night. I'm thinking the tooth had decayed under the crown. I have a huge hole in my...

View more questions Search