Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 20, 2010, 09:51 AM
    Need help with choosing a router.
    So I just purchased the linksys WRT54GL router which has really good consumer reviews. However, I have been doing more research and have learned about .N routers. Are they truly that much faster and better? What I do is download movies, games, music, stream video (netflix), and just surf the web. Would these abilities be sped up by getting a .N router? I know that I would have to get an adapter for my laptop. So based on all this, think I should just pay more for the .N routers?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 20, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Remember your connection is only as fast as the SLOWEST part.
    So unless you have a 100 mbps+ connection to the net you won't notice any real difference. Even the more normal wireless G connection will exceed your broadband.

One of the main advantages for N in a domestic setting is the higher broadcast power, and so a more consistent connection is easier to achieve.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 20, 2010, 10:17 AM

Do you think I should return the router and pick up a N one?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 20, 2010, 10:26 AM
    It's really not worth it for the added premium.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restore ios from router to router via serial [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2503 router in which the ios is corrupted, so can I restore ios directly from another router?

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

D-Link Router DI-624 router settings log in issues [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having serious problems getting into the router settings of my D-Link router. Someone other than me messed with the Admin log in supposedly changing the password. I've attempted to "reset" the modem several times, and use what D-Link says is the admin log in of "Admin" and no password, but it...

Choosing a router. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody recommend a good wired router for my home network? I have 3 PCs, 2 WIN XP SP2, 1 WIN 98SE. I also have a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem. I'm thinking maybe firewalled for extra security. So far I've put my eye on the Linksys BEFSX41. ANY suggestions are apreciated. Thank you!! :)

View more questions Search