Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barnesz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 09:01 PM
    NID setup vs. Digital Modem help
    Feeling fairly stupid now...

I have Comcast Digital phone service/modem (xfinity) connected to my old phone setup. Was working fine until recently callers could not hear me - I could hear them fine. Started to troubleshoot looking for bad connections, shorts, etc... I learned that I could just plug in to modem line out which works fine for one phone. I got a splitter to plug into modem allowing me to add a second phone on same line, but I can't seem to get the second phone to work. I've rewired the second phone from wall jack to modem and still won't work. I tried connecting the phone on a short cable close to the modem and it worked so I'm sure there is a bad connect in that line somewhere. I had to use butt connectors to connect/extend the line and new plugs for new cable, so there must be a bad connection there but I just can't find it. Now I'm thinking of going back to my old setup / NID, but I've cleared out some of the old NID wires and it might be a challenge to replicate.
    I need advice as to whether I should try to go back or if I should continue to trouble my modem connection issue.
    I've noticed that the caller ID I would see on the TV is not working anymore.
    I have what I think are 2 NID's connected to each other - older terminal type and a newer gray box.
    Not a lot of info I know but I'm hoping for some guidance.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 10:02 PM

I can't tell what you have or how things were connected. I'm assuming you have 3 telco locations: TV, phone 1 and phone 2.

Question: Where is or was the place where all of the wires come together. The old NID?

Inside the house?

Are your cables CAT5 or better or are they the old quad wire?

I'm envisioning all of the phones going to the old NID.

Lowe's has a small punch from Leviton down block that can be used to distribute the telephone wires.

Bunch blocks (tried to find my source) are available to make multiple separate screw terminals available in the NID. This is great for troubleshooting.

Splicing telco cords can be problematic without the proper splice connectors. Scotchlok is one particular type that's used.

I probably would have done a new NID to old NID run if that's where everything was terminated.

I'd consider a new demark point inside using the punch down leviton telco block.
    barnesz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 04:45 PM

Thanks KISS for your answer/reply,
    Yes, the NID's are in the basement and the wiring is the old quad type.
    I'm totally ignorant about all of this so please bear with me.
    I think I understand that the punch down will clean up / simplify things for me. You mention considering a new demark point. Could you please elaborate on how this all fits together?
    I've attached photos:
    Name:  IMG_3273.JPG
Views: 1658
Size:  165.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3274.JPG
Views: 925
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3276.JPG
Views: 1700
Size:  154.7 KB

Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2010, 05:20 PM

So the grey NID is not in service and the two old protectors are gone.

The writing on the NID looks strange with a red to the top 1/2 ringer and a green to the bottom /2 ringer.

I think what might be happening is a polarity problem. Some phones are sensitive to polarity reversal and others are not.

Telephone wall cables are mirror images of each other. Ethernet cables are not.

Do you own a voltmeter?

I'd suggest swapping the two middle conductors of the telco cable or testing the polarity of the line.

Another possible lssue is in the plug termination. There are plugs made for solid/stranded cable and for stranded cable.

The stranded only version has one piercing pin. The solid/stranded has three per wire.

That isn't too bad of a setup.

An alternative:

1. Cable the modem to the protector side of the NID
    2. Move the 2nd set of protector wires to the top protector.
    3. Use one 1/2 ringer for one line.
    4. Use the second 1/2 ringer for the second line.

The test jumper could isolate either line.

So, best guesses at this point is:
    1. wrong polarity
    2. A telco connector inappropriate for the wire used.

The white wire is probably solid and that's probably the line your having problems with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telabs 8110 modem ican I used it as leased line modem [ 3 Answers ]

In my office there is a Tellabs 8110 modem from where internet is connected . Is it is a leased line modem or it is a fixed ip broadband modem :)

Setup noma digital timer td1000 [ 2 Answers ]

How to setup noma digital timer td1000

Connecting a second to the nid [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 phone lines and having a hard time getting the second line hooked up There are 4 screws with red and green marks on the middle ones. There is also anther set underneathe them. There are 2 wires coming from the phone company that are red and black going to the first set of 4 screws. My...

What is the difference between dialup modem and a Broadband modem? [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference between dialup modem and a Broadband modem?:confused:

Broadband Modem & Modem with Router (DSL-2640B) [ 1 Answers ]

When I'm connecting broadband using D-Link ADSL broadband Modem, the connected computer will connect to Internet after verifying username and password. If I'll replace that modem with D-Link DSL-2640B (A broadband ADSL Modem WiFi router) then will this router can connect to Internet automaticall...

View more questions Search