Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grsbarbie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 08:01 PM
    '92 Honda Accord- cranks but will not start!
    '92 Honda Accord LX 2.2L cranks but will not start. I have replaced with a NEW fuel pump, and re-soldered 3 cracks on 3 terminals on the main relay. Appears to be getting fire from coil, but motor will not hit. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance for ANY help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 08:04 PM

If the CEL comes on and goes off after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

The ICM may be firing but not when the ECM wants it to. Definitely is a distributor problem, if the CEL works normally and you can hear the fuel pump run.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 08:32 PM

The odds are greater than 90% that the problem is with the ignition, not with the fuel system. I have yet to see a bad Honda fuel pump, even though many people replace them. Main relays fail regularly, however.

Proper procedure is still to verify that all under hood and under dash fuses are fine with a test light or multimeter. I'm virtually certain replacing the ICM and coil will solve the problem. If the problem does persist, the distributor housing is likely bad. In this case, install the new ICM and coil in a genuine Honda distributor housing. Stay away from all aftermarket distributor housings for Hondas. They can't get the internal sensors right and too many fail.
    grsbarbie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2010, 01:04 PM
    Thank you SOOOO much. You are a TRUE GOD SEND!! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Honda Accord cranks but won't start [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, here's my spiel. I have a 91 Honda Accord that hasn't run in close to a month. Right before it stopped completely it would crank forever before it would finally catch and start. While driving down the street one day it just cut off. I shifted into neutral, turned the key and it fired right back...

Honda accord 00 car cranks but won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I been having problem with my car lately sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. Im thinking it's the main relay problem, but not sure. I was hoping to get some idea before I start messing with my car. When the car start it run fine till I turn off the car and try to turn it back on depend on...

1998 Honda Accord, Cranks, but does not Start [ 4 Answers ]

Hello guys, Ive read all the questions and responses on honda accords cranking but not starting. I bought 1998 honda Accord, 2.3 v-tec that was not running because it over heated. The old engine would only crank and not start, it had no compression due to the overheating. I put the rebuilt engine...

1987 Honda accord lxi cranks but no start [ 1 Answers ]

Fuel system OK,ignition coil checked OK but noticed a weak tiny yellow spark from the spark plug cables if placed near the ground while cranking the engine.I removed the ignitor and checked for ohms continuity.The repair manual book says short 2 terminals w/ a jumper wire,set ohmeter to x100 and...

Honda accord 96 cranks but will not start [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Honda accord 96 M/T was working fine... nerver had lectrical problems last 6 years. I was working on Idle Valve when a short circuit occurred on IAC wireharness. Now the car will not start. It cranks. I checked all fuses and found one blown, replced it. Checked most of the relays, they click....

View more questions Search