Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsoboslai2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 06:43 PM
    I have legal guardianship of my grandson in Ohio. Can there be joint guardianship
    Is there anyway for my daughter and I to share guardianship of her son. I have legal guardianship right now and my daughter is doing really good but I'm not ready to give her full control just yet. I only get very limited support for my grandson because his step grandpa and I make too much money to qualify for child care and other benefits. My daughter is also ordered by the court to pay child support which I don't want her to have to pay, but because I'm receiving OWF they make her. I would like for her to receive benefits for her son but she does not live with me but she does come over 2 to 3 days a week to spend time with him. What can I do to rectify this situation? I live in Ohio Thank you
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 07:20 PM

There is no such thing as a joint guardanship with the mother of the child. It's okay if you have a joint guardianship with the grandpa.

Wait until the daughter can properly take care of her child before you go changing the situation for the child.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 19, 2010, 07:28 PM

What is her current level as the mother? Was she forced to relinquish her rights to the child? What is the situation? Is there any support coming from the father?
    bsoboslai2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    What is her current level as the mother? Was she forced to relinquish her rights to the child? What is the situation? Is there any support coming from the father?
    She sees her son 2 to 3 times a week. She signed a paper saying I could have guardianship not realizing she had no more rights of him. She used to think I tricked her into signing the paper but realizes now it was in his best interest. Yes the father is paying child support. I just wish there was a way that she didn't have to pay. She is getting her act together, but she doesn't have a job or car yet. She went to school to be a dental assistant but having trouble finding a job because of not having a car and don't have a drivers license because she's behind on child support. She pays what she can but unfortunately it's never enough.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2010, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bsoboslai2 View Post
    She sees her son 2 to 3 times a week. She signed a paper saying I could have guardianship not realizing she had no more rights of him. She used to think I tricked her into signing the paper but realizes now it was in his best interest. Yes the father is paying child support. I just wish there was a way that she didn't have to pay. She is getting her act together, but she doesn't have a job or car yet. She went to school to be a dental assistant but having trouble finding a job because of not having a car and don't have a drivers license because she's behind on child support. She pays what she can but unfortunately it's never enough.
    You are making excuses for her. She got herself into this situation and she has to pay court ordered child support for her child. You are doing a good deed taking care of her son for her while she is like this but you seem too willing to just give up the guardianship arrangement and give her son back to her. Right now she can't take care of him. You did not trick her. She obviously did something to merit having her child being raised by their grandparents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint Custody or joint guardianship? [ 18 Answers ]

I am going through divorce and my ex is asking a joint guardianship. Can you explain to me whether there is any difference between joint guardianship and joint custody and whether they do exist? Thank you.

Is there a simple way to limited legal guardianship for my grandson? [ 1 Answers ]

My 17 year old daughter had a baby boy recenlty. Both live with me and my husband. I am the sole provider as my husband has a serious med condition and cannot work. The baby has a father who is also a teenager, works pt, and goes to community college. Both are doing well with parenting, etc....

Legal guardianship [ 1 Answers ]

My sister has three daughters and she is in over her head. She wants me to take her baby because she knows how I love kids yet unable to have any. What is the legal way for her and I to do this. The kids aren't in any danger and the father is in prison. He doesn't want the kid either.

I have guardianship of my grandson can my daughter's rights be taken away? [ 2 Answers ]

I have guardianship of my grandson. What would I need to do to have my daughters rights taken away so we can adopt him? She is BiPolar, ADHD, Borderline Personality Disorder to start. She will not stay on her medication, will not stay in one place for more then a few days, will not to therapy the...

Guardianship of my 3 month old Grandson [ 3 Answers ]

I am 43 years old with a 2 year old boy, a 17 year old girl, an 18 year old boy and a 20 year old daughter who has a 3 month old baby boy. My husband ( the two year olds father is in jail for drug possesion)will NOT be coming back. The 20 year old is bi-polar, ADD and ODD. She has been in 3 live...

View more questions Search