Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spiffylooks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 05:50 PM
    How to cancel direct buy membership
    I signed up for directbuy July 01 20010 and I will really like to cancel right away.I have discovered a lot of inconsistencies and prices out there from retail stores that are cheaper or even just about the same.To be specific,I tried to purchase a camera on the website of a particular retail store and the price was way better than what direct buy offered.Does anybody have a straight and direct answer on how to go about this?I live in Maryland
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 19, 2010, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffylooks View Post
    .Does anybody have a straight and direct answer on how to go about this?I live in Maryland
    Hi spiff, I don't know if we could give you a straight and direct answer. Can't you just cancel you membership ? We don't have anything do with them. I hope someone on here has been in the same boat, otherwise there will be no advice for you. Check through Google as I did. Nothing came up about anyone cancelling membership, just mentioning it was a scam as far as they were concerned.

Tick
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 19, 2010, 06:35 PM

Maryland
    Center Members Non-Members
    Baltimore North (Hunt Valley) 410-316-9000 410-316-9000
    Columbia, MD 443-539-DBUY, Option 3 443-539-DBUY, Option 4
    Hagerstown 240-313-4220 240-313-4222
    Washington North (Gaithersburg) 301-926-1116 240-813-6103
    Southern Maryland (Lantham) 301-703-0600 301-731-0600, ext. 308

Ref:

DirectBuy - Contact Us

Call a store nearest you and ask how to cancel.
    Jmichael1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 02:57 PM
    I think a lot of people assume when they purchase goods or services that there is always a 72 hour recision period (buyers remorse) However that's not the law. The laws actually do vary from state to state. I know that in my state (SC) the only 2 entities that are required to give 3 days for cancelation are time share and health clubs.The other law which is called in house solicitation is Federal and applies to all states .In other words if someone comes into your home and sells you something you automatically have 3 days to cancel. Some companies will honor the 3 days but it is totally up to them as an act of good faith and not required by law . In a court of law the contract is KING! A lot of contracts clearly state there is no provision for canceling however most people do not read what they sign.Hope this is helpful.
    dogmom4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2012, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffylooks View Post
    I signed up for directbuy July 01 20010 and I will really like to cancel right away.I have discovered a lot of inconsistencies and prices out there from retail stores that are cheaper or even just about the same.To be specific,I tried to purchase a camera on the website of a particular retail store and the price was way better than what direct buy offered.Does anybody have a straight and direct answer on how to go about this?I live in Maryland
    Hi there,
    Oh geeze! I too purchased that horribly priced membership years ago w/my ex. We got wooed to a meting where they pitch all the great things about d.b. I had literally just finished school as an interior designer so I was very excited to get working, getting my name out there exc. So we sat through the long speech & while a lot of things sounded great there were some things I wanted to check into (about pricing on various items) since I now had access to a lot of wholesale places because of my designer's licence.
    So as we were trying to leave one of their sales guys got us to try & "sell" us some more. Out of politeness we listened. When I said to him we wanted to go home & talk about it some, after we found out the huge price tag, we were told " well if you leave now we can't sign you up because this price is only offered once." we were totally caught off guard, talk about intimidating sales tactics! He wouldn't even leave us while we were talking about what to decide. I really wanted to be able to go home & check things out but my ex said well lets just do it, so we signed on. We knew we were going to be doing several home improvement projects so we thought it would help us.
    BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER!! After I got going w/my design business I realized that I could get just about the same discounts on things. We never ended up using it 1 time in 5 yrs! Towards the very end of the last time I renewed the membership I went there to look for a somewhat expensive sink for my parents, they were remodeling there kitchen. I ordered it & got the surprise of the century, I had to pay an order fee to order the sink! I just shook my head in total disgust. You pay $4000.00 to join, after the 1st 3 yrs you then have to pay $100.00 every year or 2 to keep the membership up. The member ship that's supposed to save you thousands... YA RIGHT!! In the end I saved my mom about $100. Oh and it took me hours to even find the stupid catalog, there were many in the brand, & then to look up the correct code # for the sink. Not worth the time/$.
    Now that I know about what a joke that membership is, if anyone I know starts talking about it I tell them to steer clear, it is a huge waste of $$. Especially now a days when you can find anything on the net or even in stores certain times of the year w/big sales, that will allow one to buy what they're looking for at the same price or close to it. You would literally have to be continually be remodeling your whole house/property, build a house or more to justify the money you "might" be able to save. You would have to buy thousands of dollars+ before you'd break even on the cost of your membership before you would even start saving any sort of $.
    Anyone who's thinking of joining this club or any other like it (there are several out there now) don't waste your $$. If you even have the money to join invest it, you'd do better in a simple savings account at the bank. Even w/the rates being so low at least you'd be earning something & not losing anything.
    Sorry to say but good luck trying to get out. They know exactly what they're doing & unfortunately I've never heard of anyone being allowed to get out of their contract. Awhile back I saw on the net a ton of complaints for these very reasons all over the net. You could check, I'm sure there are people who are trying to form class action suits against them. I believe there are several places you can register a complaint. Enough complaints w/some agencies & sometimes the government or somebody will get involved. I think they should not be allowed to practice such sneaky business practices & should have to be up-front, honest & make potential new customers completely aware of how they "work" before they're allowed to sign on any new members & their money.
    Good luck to you, if you can't get out of it I would try to use it as much as possible. Ask family/friends if they need anything, not just for their house but anything since they sell electronics, jewelry, all sorts of stuff. Although they say your not allowed to let family/friends to use your account, you are allowed to buy gifts for people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I cancel DirectBuy membership [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any way to get our from under the Direct Buy contract?

Direct buy membership cancellation [ 3 Answers ]

A 74 year old couple joined directbuy in columbus which was within 3 miles of their home. A month later without warning the facility closed with no notice other than a sign on the door. The nearest facility is now some 69 miles away. Health issues limit their driving to around town. The priority...

Direct Buy [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone ever used Direct Buy and is the membership cost worth it?

Direct buy [ 3 Answers ]

Is anyone out there a member to direct buy?:)

Cancel Lifequest Fitness Club Membership [ 2 Answers ]

Recently my local gym, Lifequest Fitness Club, began going through some financial difficulties which ended up manifesting themselves to the members through: 1) lack of towels, 2) broken sauna and equipment, 3) lack of instructors because they were not being paid therefore no classes, 4)...

View more questions Search