Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arizona40 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 10:59 AM
    Nopalea
    Hello. I just started drinking nopalea... A delicious fruit drink. It's suppose to help you reduce inflammation. Also to help the body detoxify.
    Is this product all that they claim to be? Since it is very expensive, I would like to know if I should continue with it! This product is being made by a company named trivita... Is this something good for me, or is it a just another drink, with no valus! Thanks, natalie
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 11:17 AM

Anything that's advertized as a supliment or Herbal remedy... is done to avoid the FDA regulations that makes them prove their claims... and for the moist part... escape FTC rules for false advertizing.

Yes all that stuff is untested and unproven.

So all you are doing it taking the word of the person with everything to gain. These people are nothing more than modern snake oil salesmen.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Aug 19, 2010, 04:33 PM

Nopolea contains useful antioxidants and particularly bases many of its health claims on its high concentration of betalains. The jury is out as to exactly how beneficial these compounds are but if you want to have the benefit of betalains then beetroot juice is a rich source and much cheaper. Although it does have a slightly different mix of betalains.

Nopolea is prickly pear juice. If you live in an area where it is possible to harvest or buy prickly pear then you could make your own juice as another way to save money. Instructions and info: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/prick...-benefits.html

Deep purple, red, and blue fruits all contain high levels of similar antioxidants although some contain betalains while others contain anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are the compounds in the equally expensive acai berries. These too can be sourced more cheaply in blackberries and blueberries. Again the exact nutriets vary from one foodstuff to another.

Like most 'superfoods' the claims aren't necesserily false but whether it is worth paying such a premium price is another matter. A little research on the ingredients and on what other sources can provide them can save you a lot of cash.

If all that sounds like hard work then a really varied diet of as many natural foods as possible will almost certainly cover the body's needs.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 05:36 PM

Ok, maybe I wasn't too clear in what I was trying to say.

What I am saying... since I was a teen (I'm 49 now) there has always been a new Superfood with midaculous properties. Every single one of them have been proven over time to be nothing special. While most have not been unsafe a few things have proven to be very unsafe. If even 1% of the promisses were true you'd see hundreds of people literally living forever... reality is, there are no miricles, the best you can do is eat a balanced diet and a healthy mix of fruits and veggies along with fish, and meat and get plenty of exercise.

Suppliments have been proven to do more harm than good with a proper diet and no illness induced maladies. Too much of many vitimins is far worse than too few.
    abba11002 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 10:35 AM

I've been doing extensive research since watching the infomercial this morning on television.

What I've discovered is that if you have a Latin Grocery, specifically Mexican, you might be able to buy the same product, in original form, called the Nopal "Tuna" or Prickly Pear.

As shown in the infomercial, it's the bulbous fruit in usually reddish purple color that grows on the green cactus "pad" or paddle. I will be going to several Latin Groceries here in the Las Vegas, NV, area to both see if I can find it, and if so, the cost. I will also do further research to see if the Green Nopalitas (pads) will be an adequate substitute.

If I find the pears and price them, I'm sure a juicing machine will be able to produce enough home-made "nopalea" at a fraction of the cost, most likely enough to get the juicing machine to pay for itself.

I'm 100% sure the substance itself is not a scam, numerous clinical research papers have documented the benefits of Nopal fruits. However, TriVita is still an MLM venture, so I would be bane to be extremely careful in dealing with them.

I almost forgot to mention, that if you want to use the benefits of the fiber from it, you can cut it in any form, it must be peeled before cutting and/or juicing, to include in recipes.
    abba11002 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Ok, maybe I wasn't too clear in what I was trying to say.

What I am saying....since I was a teen (I'm 49 now) there has always been a new Superfood with midaculous properties. every single one of them have been proven over time to be nothing special. While most have not been unsafe a few things have proven to be very unsafe. If even 1% of the promisses were true you'd see hundreds of people literally living forever...reality is, there are no miricles, the best you can do is eat a balanced diet and a healthy mix of fruits and veggies along with fish, and meat and get plenty of exercise.

Suppliments have been proven to do more harm than good with a proper diet and no illness induced maladies. Too much of many vitimins is far worse than too few.
    There are numerous superfoods,mostly produce, that the pharmaceutical companies are constantly trying to discredit. These include berries of all kinds, pineapple and papaya contain bromelain (Which in Europe, specifically Germany, Bromelain has been made into pill form, called Wobenzyme, which is prescribed as an anti-inflammatory)

Yes, too much of anything can become toxic in high enough doses after prolonged use. However, as long as it's used in moderation, they're perfectly safe.

Also, you say to eat a healthy mix of fruits and veggies along with fish and meat. With today's grocery prices heading quite a bit north of insane, specially with the healthier foods, not everyone can afford to eat good much anymore. Plus, if you live in an inhospitible climate, like the SW desert region of the US, getting proper exercise can be a bit challenging as well, and age can be a major factor in it as well.

You seem quite cynical, I'm one myself, until I can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt something to be true.

There are a wide range of people with numerous problems, and they're looking for products that can help. Too bad the makers of Nopalea have taken this need and decided to get greedy with it. At least I've shown a way that can make the remedy more affordable.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abba11002 View Post
    There are numerous superfoods,mostly produce, that the pharmaceutical companies are constantly trying to discredit. These include berries of all kinds, pineapple and papaya contain bromelain (Which in Europe, specifically Germany, Bromelain has been made into pill form, called Wobenzyme, which is prescribed as an anti-inflammatory)

Yes, too much of anything can become toxic in high enough doses after prolonged use. However, as long as it's used in moderation, they're perfectly safe.

Also, you say to eat a healthy mix of fruits and veggies along with fish and meat. With today's grocery prices heading quite a bit north of insane, specially with the healthier foods, not everyone can afford to eat good much anymore. Plus, if you live in an inhospitible climate, like the SW desert region of the US, getting proper exercise can be a bit challenging as well, and age can be a major factor in it as well.

You seem quite cynical, I'm one myself, until I can prove beyond the shadow of a doubt something to be true.

There are a wide range of people with numerous problems, and they're looking for products that can help. Too bad the makers of Nopalea have taken this need and decided to get greedy with it. At least I've shown a way that can make the remedy more affordable.
    Well, when you consider Claims made by drug companies are required to be proven under federal law, and claims made by makers of suppliments and Herbal remidies are not says everything.

I'm, 49, if you count the new "superfoods" I have seen come and go, JUST since I was in college... you could fill a book.

Yeah I'm a sceptic... because any time you see someone with a financial interest in an item hawking its "Miraculous" virtues... you have someone with a vested interest to flat out lie or stretch the truth. After all, what legal hurdles have they jumped to prove their claims? WHat standards are they held to requiring proof of the claims they make? If you guessed none at all you would be correct. They aren't regulated at all. And unless they have toxic side effects, likely never will be held accountible.

Saying the Phamacuticals are in the business of trying to discredit them is a bit paranoid don't you think. They probibly lose more money in accounting errors than the people hawking those products make before expenses.

Consider it "Life Experience" that makes me want to see proof before I'll take someone's word before I buy something they are selling.

Take a close look at all the disclaimers on Diet pills on TV " when used with a restricted diet and exercise" as well as "results may vary"

Well duh... reduce your caloric intake and exercize more is ALL you need to do to lose weight... you don't need their overpriced pills if you HAVE to do that too.

Same deal on nutritional claims... unless you have echinacea type side effects (only THEN will the Feds step in)... they will get away with any claims they make.

But do any of then hurt you? Most don't, most are perfectly fine to consume. But do they perform miricles (nope)... I'd like to see ANYONE who makes such a claim, back it up with legitimate independent studies. If the claims are true... then it should be very easy to do. Or I view such claims as you would a seedy used car saleman with the "creampuff" he's trying to sell you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2010, 12:03 PM

Let me add this as the widow of a Doctor of Pharmacy - take NO supplements without consulting with a Phsycian IF you take anything by prescription or any other "over the counter" remedies.

Let's see - if I have Pharmacists on this side, Pharmacists who are salaried, who don't get a commission, get paid the same if they fill 100 prescriptions or 1,000 prescriptions and on the other side I have a company which makes a commission/profit on every sale, which side would I believe?

I believe I would trust the Pharmacists.

Please post your research about Pharmacists discrediting the various "supplements" and quick cures.
    coriewallace Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Sep 17, 2010, 08:12 PM

The Nopal Cactus, specifically Opuntia has gone through many clinical trials, test etc... by credited scientists and associations. opuntia - PMC Results The effects of Nopal are documented in liquid form there have been studies showing lowering and regulating of blood sugar levels and cholesterol.

Trivita however, claims that it will reduce inflammation which it indeed does in the site above tests and trials.
    The statement that inflammation is being linked as a prelude to many diseases including heart disease has been proven by
    Dr. Paul Ridker from Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston... inflammation having a direct effect on heart disease " Ridker exploited this response by measuring inflammation with a specific marker of the process, C-reactive protein (CRP). CRP is easily picked up in the blood and reliably indicates how much inflammation is occurring in the heart--and thus how likely a heart attack might be."

Read more: Paul Ridker: The Inflammation Response - TIME

Although Trivita allows members to refer others and receive a commission, it is not a pyramid scheme by any means. It is primarily a customer based business not a downline of affiliates requiring people to purchase and buy product.

I myself have used nopalea for pain management and it has made a difference for me and many others. The money I would have spent on presecription drugs, otc ibuprofen more than exceeds the cost of Nopalea. There are no known issues drinking Nopalea while using any prescription drug (also cited in the pmc site).

Knowing how damaging ibuprofen can on the liver and kidneys as well as statins side effects, using a natural health alternative is not a scam. Worse case scenario is give it a try for a month... mark down you daily or weekly pain levels... if there is no difference. Stop. But, I think you will find a lot more benefits than negatives while using this particular product.
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2010, 06:55 AM

That Times article addresses inflammation; it says NOTHING about napolea. Before any medical study can be believed it is important to learn who/what funded the study - I have yet to see a single study on napolea that is not funded by the manufacturer. As far as this not being a pyramid scheme - have you looked at the site? I buy it and sell it to you. That's a pyramid scheme.

It is totally irresponsible to recommend any alternative or, for that matter, over the counter or prescription medication to anyone who does not first consult with a Physician.

Sep 18, 2010, 08:37 AM

Nopalea's main ingredient is from the cactus family Opuntia.
    Opuntia has been proven to have the ability to address inflammation. The times article educates the correlation between inflammation and disease. In my previous post I included a link to NIH studies which is the National Institute of Health. NIH is one of the world's foremost medical research centers. The 234 Studies from Doctors and Scientists from around the globe of the effects Opuntia has in humans is growing in documentation from credible sources.
    No one said not to check with your Doctor when using alternative natural means to assists your bodies well being.
    However, the side effects from the pharmeceutical industry raise an eyebrow. Some have suicidal tendencies, depression, liver and kidney issues... the list goes on.

Just because a Doctor subscribes something doesn't necessarily make it the safest alternative. Nor do I take my Doctor's advice blindly. But that is my personal choice.

I am sure you are very knowledgeable, but herbal remedies have been around as long as man has existed and there is something to their benefits. Last I checked, a lot of prescription medicine is derived from plants, herbs etc...

Making a blanket statement that herbal alternatives are irrellevent is not a true.

The health care industry makes a lot of money from insurance companies, medicare, medicaide and the like. Using natural alternatives does not necessarily make that option profitable to insurance companies... at this time.

Also, Trivita is a well known company located here in the USA. They strive to creat quality sumplements and meet any standards or go beyond that are available. Instead of filling GNC stores and the like, they choose to promote their products on TV, radio and print ads. They also offer people a refferal program to offset the costs of purchasing products.

It costs nothing to become part of that program. And for those who believe in their products, why wouldn't they want to tell people about it? No one states that Avon or Mary Kay are pyramid schemes yet they also pay people to sell their products.

How a company decides to build their distribution of their products is up to them, direct sales is an option for many start up companies and beyond. Having actual people who use their products, and tell people about their positive experiences is a more trusting way to go than someone screaming on TV "YOU TOO CAN GINSU" LOL... we shouldn't judge that which we do not know Judy.
    Making assumptions and passing them off as fact when they are truly just your opinion is not a substantive argument. It only shows you are tyring to discredit someone.
    I wonder why that is?

I have just included the NIH digital archive on 240 studies on opuntia for your perusal.
    :)
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2010, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by coriewallace View Post
    Nopalea's main ingredient is from the cactus family Opuntia.
    Opuntia has been proven to have the ability to address inflammation. The times article educates the correlation between inflammation and disease. In my previous post I included a link to NIH studies which is the National Institute of Health. NIH is one of the world's foremost medical research centers. The 234 Studies from Doctors and Scientists from around the globe of the effects Opuntia has in humans is growing in documentation from credible sources.
    No one said not to check with your Doctor when using alternative natural means to assists your bodies well being.
    However, the side effects from the pharmeceutical industry raise an eyebrow. Some have suicidal tendancies, depression, liver and kidney issues....the list goes on.

Just because a Doctor subscribes something doesnt necessarily make it the safest alternative. Nor do I take my Doctor's advice blindly. But that is my personal choice.

I am sure you are very knowledgeable, but herbal remedies have been around as long as man has existed and there is something to their benefits. Last I checked, a lot of prescription medicine is derived from plants, herbs etc....

Making a blanket statement that herbal alternatives are irrellevent is not a true.

The health care industry makes a lot of money from insurance companies, medicare, medicaide and the like. Using natural alternatives does not neccessarily make that option profitable to insurance companies...at this time.

Also, Trivita is a well known company located here in the USA. They strive to creat quality sumplements and meet any standards or go beyond that are available. Instead of filling GNC stores and the like, they choose to promote their products on TV, radio and print ads. They also offer people a refferal program to offset the costs of purchasing products.

It costs nothing to become part of that program. And for those who believe in their products, why wouldnt they want to tell people about it? No one states that Avon or Mary Kay are pyramid schemes yet they also pay people to sell their products.

How a company decides to build their distribution of their products is up to them, direct sales is an option for many start up companies and beyond. Having actual people who use their products, and tell people about their positive experiences is a more trusting way to go than someone screaming on TV "YOU TOO CAN GINSU" LOL.... we shouldn't judge that which we do not know Judy.
    Making assumptions and passing them off as fact when they are truly just your personal opinion is not a substantive argument. It only shows you are tyring to discredit someone.
    I wonder why that is?

I have just included the NIH digital archive on 240 studies on opuntia for your perusal.
    :)

Where do I say that alternative medications are irrelevant? I don't care what Mary Kay and other manufacturers do - I'm not talking about them.

I do not see my personal opinon as any more of an assumption being passed off on other people than I see your opinion being an assumption. That's why they are called opinions and not facts. I am basing my comments on what I learned in Pharm classes and continuing Pharm education. Your background?

As far as "LOL" - how old are you?

I am not trying to discredit anyone. I am giving my opinion based on my personal knowledge and research. I assume you're doing the same?

And, again, who is funding the studies you are quoting?

My personal Physician is an DO and he is a strong believer in alternative medicine - like you, I don't follow every word that falls out of his mouth.

I'm sorry you chose to take this to a confrontational level - it really does undermine your position.

Sep 18, 2010, 08:48 AM

opuntia - PMC Results
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2010, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by coriewallace View Post

Surely you are joking. I'm not reading 240+ papers in order to learn who funded the various studies. It's not the ability to do research that matters; it's the ability to explain the research. I'm still in the same place I was - who funded the research and where did I say the product was irrelevant?

Your spelling leads me to believe you are not a medical professional and, therefore, I am "assuming" that you have some connection with this product.

At any rate you brought up the question - what side agenda do you think I have?

For that matter, what is your agenda? You seem to have done a ton of research - do you sell or market this product?

Any medical study also leaves room for the placebo effect.

Sep 18, 2010, 09:03 AM

As I stated, I use the product as well as a friend who has had Type II diabetes for 35 years, a kidney transplant and a stroke. His Doctors at columbia have no problem with him using Nopalea. I love to tell his story, because Nopalea has had such a profound effect on him. He has less pain from his neuropathy and it has lowered his blood sugar levels allowing him to use less insulin.

I do share the product because I believe in its benefit.

Also, please read any one of the 240 medical studies that have also included placebo tests.

Here is the link again. opuntia - PMC Results

Read it don't read. Hopefully someone who is in need will. Or they can message me here and I can provide the studies I have read.

Education and knowledge are a very powerful thing. Having an open mind and finding out alternative answers and solutions to the established status quos... creates Einsteins.

To your health Judy!
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2010, 09:13 AM

I, in fact, will be contacting Columbia concerning their recommendation and success stories. As it happens my late husband died of the side effects of diabetes, I work with a local Diabetes Foundation, I share with them what I learn (as they share with me) and I'm sure we will all be interested in the medical studies.

I am particularly interested in lowering blood sugar levels through the use of herbals. If this is correct the health insurance industry will save a lot of money and, of course, lives will be saved.

I will forward this thread to my fellow committee members. I'm sure someone will contact you through your PM address as we are not allowed to post email addresses and more info is probably needed in order to follow through.

If you are correct about blood sugar and diabetes you certainly have done a public service; if you are wrong, you have certainly done some harm. I'm curious to know which it is.

I am also asking nohelp4u, a strong believer in herbals and alternative medicine, to chime in - I have a lot of respect for her research and experience and hopefully she has an educated opinion and some of the diabetes research.

Now I am intrigued - and I have worked endlessly to study and learn about diabetes since my husband was diagnosed and, of course, since his death.

Sep 18, 2010, 09:40 AM

Judy,
    I am so sorry for your loss. Here is a study that discusses Nopal and its effects in conjunction with Diabetes. Risks and Benefits of Commonly used Herbal Medicines in México
    For clarification, I did not say Columbia recommends Nopalea, I stated that my friends Nephrologist at Columbia does not have an issue with him taking Nopalea and any complications with the prescribed drugs he is taking. My friend takes quite a cocktail, one particular drug raises his chance of getting cancer by 500%. So, what heals can also kill, go figure.

I did try and contact his local chapter of the Diabetes Association to discuss a fund raiser of sorts and raising awareness of Nopalea and my dear friends story. I never did get a response unfortunately.

So I just educate and discuss, one person at a time.

Do please contact me if I can be of service with your group.
    I think it would be fantastic!

Feel free to PM me here. :)

Sep 18, 2010, 09:49 AM

Judy,
    Here was another pdf, that really provided a lot of science, and substantiated much of my beliefs.
    http://www.cactusnet.org/documents/newsletter11pdf.pdf
    They source much of the NIH's research.

I am in no way stating that Nopalea is curative in any way. I am only sharing that which people share with me and offer the possibilities.
    Nopalea, Nopal, Opuntia has been shown to quell inflammation and that inflammation can indeed lead to various diseases. Preventing silent inflammation and easing the pain from chronic inflammation goes a long way to aiding people who have long been suffering.
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2010, 06:10 AM

I think you misunderstand me - the Foundation is interested in medical research, medical records - they would be interested in your friend's experience if he would be wiling to share. Of course, his Doctor would also be contacted for confirmation.

I'm sure you understand that a LOT of people find "cures" or "treatment" that make no sense, might just be a coincidence, and everything is checked out.
    cdiucc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2012, 04:32 AM
    The costs are not nearly as comparable as you suggest. You act as though otc ibuprofen is expensive. I can get 160 Liqui-gels of 200mg ibuprofen for $10, or less when on sale, at any pharmacy or supermarket (about the cost of the "free" trial of Nopalea). As for buying after the free trial, they won't tell you the price, which says a lot to me about the expense. I see it at $25 per bottle to start the bidding, on eBay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nopalea.com [ 3 Answers ]

Is nopalea a scam

Nopalea side effects [ 30 Answers ]

Has anyone tried nopalea and had any negative side effects? All I've heard is good stuff but I want to be sure before I try it. Desperate for help

Nopalea [ 4 Answers ]

Hello... i just started drinking nopalea. Is this a good drink for my health. i'am pretty active, but 70 years old. I am self employed with lots of energy. Do i need this delicious drink 2 times a day. have you heard any bad thinks about this product? Thanks, natalie

View more questions Search