Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joggs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Obama: Christian or Muslim?
    Frankly, I never thought about this issue until I heard of a recent survey on NPR.
    Pew Survey: Growing Number Of Americans Say President Obama Is Muslim

I know that he attended a Christian church for many years up to recently... but also know now that in his autobiography he claims to be Muslim.

It blows my mind that a national and reputable organization would support and quote a "survey" on this issue.

Can anyone supply a recent quote from the President Obama where he affirms what his faith is as of today?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2010, 09:27 AM

Where (on what page) of his autobiography does he claim to be a Muslim?

(And if he were, so what?)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 09:36 AM

Hello J:

Most Americans aren't very bright. They go along with who's yelling the loudest. It's a shame people believe what they do about him.

excon

Aug 19, 2010, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Where (on what page) of his autobiography does he claim to be a Muslim?

(And if he were, so what?)
    I don't really care, but I'd like to know. Is that OK?

In answer to your questions:

1. I've not read his autobiography but have read in other posts on this site that it is there:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...ml#post2486425

If that person is wrong, I'll be the first person to confess to "passing along rumors".

2. So what? I don't know, I was just asking. Is it not OK to ask or wonder what faith group the President of the US belongs to?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2010, 09:51 AM

President Obama is a Christian.

What is "quoted" about President Obama being Muslim is taken out of context.

It's like if I would say Joggs doesn't really care about anything. But then that's not what you said, is it.

Aug 19, 2010, 09:53 AM

Wondergirl, please don't presume too much about me. I was just wondering.

Since you posted, I'll pick up a copy of Dreams from My Father and read for myself.

Aug 19, 2010, 09:57 AM

As a second thought/comment: You say that he is Christian. What is your source for that information?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 09:59 AM

The President is, or is not ,Christian . I think he attended services in Chi-town because it was poltically expedient to do so . He has not exactly shown an enthusiasm for attending services as President . He more likely will shoot hoops than attend services.

I really don't think it's a big deal. The only thing you can divine from his autobiographies is that he did attend a Muslim school as a young child. But ,that really doesn't tell you much . There are plenty of children who go to religious instructions and then make the decision to reject their parent's faith later . He's not said or done anything to suggest he follows Islam today.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 10:02 AM
    His belief shouldn't matter, it's a personal issue.

Aug 19, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I really don't think it's a big deal. .
    I'll agree. I was just wondering. Since someone here said that Obama claimed to be a Muslim - and he apparently attended a Christian church for many years - and there's now a big survey... I just couldn't help but wonder.

Being that I saw it here on this site (see the link above) that he claimed to be Muslim, can anyone here who has read the book (especially member "smoothy" who said it) confirm what Obama said and on what page?

Again, I'm just wondering. Please don't beat me up too bad for wondering :o

Aug 19, 2010, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    His belief shouldn't matter, it's a personal issue.
    Ok, but I'm just wondering. Isn't that OK here on a public forum?
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 10:12 AM

Again, I'm just wondering. Please don't beat me up too bad for wondering
    I'm not... it is a legit question ;and since you point out the survey published today ;it qualifies as Current Events .

I don't believe he has made any claim as an adult to being Muslim.

Aug 19, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I don't believe he has made any claim as an adult to being Muslim.
    So did "Smoothy" misquote him at the post I mentioned earlier? I'll find out for myself and pick up a copy of the book this afternoon.

Smoothy, are you here? If so, can you please tell me where to look for where Obama says that he is a Muslim? You said "Obama is a Muslim...and he said so in his own autobiography".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 19, 2010, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joggs View Post
    Being that I saw it here on this site (see the link above) that he claimed to be Muslim, can anyone here who has read the book (especially member "smoothy" who said it) confirm what Obama said and on what page?
    I'm not beating you up. It's a fair question.

I too have asked for the page and quote (and name of the book), but no one who claims President Obama is Muslim has come forward yet. I'm still waiting.

Aug 19, 2010, 10:41 AM

Your question is fair. If I've presumed something that is not true then I will be the first to apologize.

Since we're on the subject of sources, Wondergirl, what is your source for saying that Obama is Christian?

Aug 19, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    President Obama is a Christian.
    What is your source for believing that?
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 10:43 AM

I don't believe you will find it in the autobiographies . But I will do a quick search. He has said things like "my Muslim faith " in an interview to ABC's George Stephanopoulos; but I don't think you can read too much into it. The fact that his father was Muslim is undeniable. But a comment like that could be cultural in context ;much like my saying "I'm Italian" .
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2010, 10:45 AM

He attended Rev, Wright's radical Trinity United Church of Christ in Chi-town for close to 20 years.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joggs View Post
    So did "Smoothy" misquote him at the post I mentioned earlier?
    You might to do your own research before using assertions from "Smoothy" - just a heads up.

Aug 19, 2010, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    You might to do your own research before using assertions from "Smoothy" - just a heads up.
    I'm learning as I go. I should do my own research before using assersitions from ANYONE on a public forum.

Haha, I know the 3 most important things about real estate: 1. Location, 2. Location, and 3. Location.

I should know better and know the three most important rules about what I hear, read or see on TV: 1. Source, 2. Source, and 3. Source.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Christian Guy.Muslim Girl [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Peeps, I am currently dating a muslim girl and we cannot take our relationship further due to our different religious beliefs.. what should I do? Does anyone have ideas on how to make this relationship work? I am lost, in the beginning I thought I could make it work, but it seems now that this...

Marriage between Muslim and Christian. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Sir, May I know this question's answer: Is there any restriction to Marry a Christian woman? For example the guy is a muslim and want to marry a christian woman and none of them going to convert, so is it possible for them to get married in Muslim Rules?? Thanks for your support and...

Christian girl marriage to married muslim guy [ 29 Answers ]

Hi There... I need help... I need suggestions... I need advice... I need prayers I'm a christian girl in a relationship with a muslim guy who is already married with a kid. Due to problems in his first marriage, he has been forced to go for a second marriage by his family since many years and he...

View more questions Search