Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawww Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Theft over $5000
    Just wondering what the minimum sentence for theft over $5000 is.

Thanks.
    lawww Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 09:12 PM
    Oh sorry the country is Canada and there is no previous criminal record.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2006, 09:27 PM
    Ok, we have a couple of people here fairly good on law in Canada,

And before I get another private message, that was a joke about stealing more, it is just normally we get all of these people who have stole a few dollars, I can't remember the last time we had one over 5000.

But you need an attorney, no matter what anyway, they would know more what the judges in your province does.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2006, 11:16 PM
    There is no minimum sentence. You could walk away with probation or 1 year in jail or something else.

There does appear to be a maximum sentence though of 10 years in the sections that I just browsed through.

Take a read through http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/c-46/text.html and located the exact theft that you are charged with and read the sections on punishment.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 05:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Finally someone who is really stealing something
    Hello Padre:

You crack me up...

excon
    kolly1983 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 10:14 AM
    What happens if you steal from your boss 15,000 cause you have an gambling addiction and your life was in danger cause you borrowed money from loan sharks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2010, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kolly1983 View Post
    what happens if you steal from your boss 15,000 cause you have an gambling addiction and your life was in danger cause you borrowed money from loan sharks
    Hello kolly:

The same thing that would happen if you just wanted a nicer car.

excon
    grape drank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2012, 01:27 PM
    I am being charged with breaking and entering mischef under 5000 and theft over 5000 am I going to jail?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000 [ 7 Answers ]

My son was arrested for stealing cigarettes from a store he worked in. The cops came into his apartment and searched his place with no search warrant and then arrested him. He is 18 years old and we live in Canada. What should I do? Hire a lawyer? Could he get jail for this? Yes, it was a moment...

Theft under 5000.. [ 7 Answers ]

Last year, I was charged with theft under 5000. And just as usual I went to court , but the thing is that this was my first offence. So they were very easy with me, I had to do some diversion program and you I did that. When back to court and I was free too go. Some people told me that when I...

Theft under $5000.. : ( [ 20 Answers ]

Hey, I just got caught stealing from the Bay (HBC). I was first put under arrest.. brought into the back of the store and they took all of my information etc. etc. They checked my criminal record and everything, and since I don't have one they did not charge me but I'm not allowed going into...

B.C. Theft Under 5000$ help [ 7 Answers ]

Well.. Im 15, and I live in British Columbia, and I was in a local store with my friend... I knew he was going to steal something because he told me... Anyway someone from the staff told on him to the manager when I was hanging out with him. And now IM facing having to go to court to... ...

Theft under 5000 [ 4 Answers ]

Today I had a friend arrested for theft under 5000 The situation is: She was in a large grocery store, she put all her grocery in a plastic bag and was looking at the flower section INSIDE the store when the security arrested her and then the police took her and detained her in a cell for the...

View more questions Search