Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ragingblur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 05:39 PM
    Older job seeker - should I mention I am a member of mensa on applications?
    I am in my 60s and live in California, looking for another job. I was wondering if I should mention that I am a member of the Mensa organization. I guess really I am looking for the pros and cons from an employer stand point. Thanks.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 05:43 PM

Mostly it depends on what line of work your seeking. Lets face it if your going to be a greeter at Walmart do you really want to tell them that? But if your going for a job at nasa or jpl then it might come in handy. Mostly its going to be situational.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 05:51 PM

And at any age, your prior work history is going to mean a lot, and I don't mean this wrong, I have a family member who is brilliant, IQ off the chart, one of the worst workers since everyone is wrong, he is always right and he does not play well with others. So what you have done with your ability over the past 20 years and more will be important
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 06:02 PM
    A very wise man once told me , there is a difference in being intelligent and being smart. My Dad was the smartest man I have ever known and he only had a few years of education. He worked harder than anybody I have ever seen. It's great that you are in Mensa, but I believe some people would rather you work hard and put all you have into your job, then to know what your IQ is.

You're attitude and how you treat other people will account for a lot on a new job. I have known a few people who were members of Mensa and they couldn't change a light bulb. Not saying your like that, but no I wouldn't flaunt my intelligence if I were you. It may get you started on the wrong foot.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 06:11 PM

I list my membership on my resume along with the American Library Association. I'm 64 and just applied for a copyeditor/proofreader job. The Mensa connection seemed appropriate.

Would is it be appropriate in your case?
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I list my membership on my resume along with the American Library Association. I'm 64 and just applied for a copyeditor/proofreader job. The Mensa connection seemed appropriate.

Would is it be appropriate in your case?
    I knew it! Right after I posted I said; Oh Lord I'll bet WG is in Mensa. Seriously WG, I know how smart you are. There are people I've known, I swear one guy didn't know how to cut down a tree. Sorry about that... How did I know that you would be in Mensa?:o
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    I knew it! Right after I posted I said; Oh Lord I'll bet WG is in Mensa. Seriously WG, I know how smart you are. There are people I've known, I swear one guy didn't know how to cut down a tree. Sorry about that...How did I know that you would be in Mensa?:o
    I'll have to drive over and change your light bulbs for you to prove it, I guess. Or cut down a tree for you. *sigh*
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 06:40 PM
    I'll have to drive over and change your light bulbs for you to prove it, I guess. Or cut down a tree for you. *sigh*
    I can't say anything, I'm getting my foot out of my mouth:o
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 06:41 PM
    I can't say anything, I'm getting my foot out of my mouth:o
    I'm good at helping with that too. ;)
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 06:43 PM
    I'm good at helping with that too. ;)
    Stop being nice, it makes me feel worse.:o
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 06:47 PM
    Stop being nice, it makes me feel worse.:o
    Just give me a little forehead bump like cats do. *bump*
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 06:49 PM
    Just give me a little forehead bump like cats do. *bump*
    Thanks WG:)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 06:51 PM
    Thanks WG:)
    The last person I would want to make feel bad would be you, Miss Kitty. Wait. Maybe the last person would be Miss Alty. Well, both of you then.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 06:53 PM
    The last person I would want to make feel bad would be you, Miss Kitty. Wait. Maybe the last person would be Miss Alty. Well, both of you then.
    Now that makes me want to cry. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 06:58 PM

I'd better add J_9. Synn too. What about Fr_Chuck? And certainly Ben and Scott. Clough? Certainly there must be more people I wouldn't want to make feel bad. Hmmm. But you're right up at the top of the list, Kit.

I wonder if the Mensa person will come back.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 07:05 PM
    I'd better add J_9. Synn too. What about Fr_Chuck? And certainly Ben and Scott. Clough? Certainly there must be more people I wouldn't want to make feel bad. Hmmm. But you're right up at the top of the list, Kit.

I wonder if the Mensa person will come back.

You're one of mine You have been since my very first week here:)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 07:12 PM

Aaaaaawwwww!! (((((Kit)))))
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 07:16 PM
    Aaaaaawwwww!!!! (((((Kit)))))
    Right back at you:)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 07:18 PM

Hey! We highjacked a thread without Alty's help, all by our little selves!:D

I hope the OP comes back.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Hey! We highjacked a thread without Alty's help, all by our little selves!:D

I hope the OP comes back.
    Wow we did! Sorry OP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I say on applications now that I left my last job on bad terms? Please HELP [ 4 Answers ]

NEED ADVISE PLEASE. The company I worked for was small, family owned company - 10 employees total. When they hired me they knew my husband was disabled. They pay 100% of family health insurance and they knew I took the job based on need for health insurance. Now - 2 years later, due to personality...

Misdemeanor charges in California effects on background check for a job seeker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was arrested in nov 09 for petty theft for $80 in a children's clothing store. I was wrongful accused. Actully it was a big misunder standing. I have hired a lawyer and paid him about $2000 and he is fighting for me. I had an interview for a preschool position and my reference check went very...

Job applications [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for possible employers to ask if a person has been charged with a crime? I thought it was just if you'd been convicted of a crime? What if the person has been charged but not had their day in court yet? Or what if the charges end up being dismissed?

View more questions Search