Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 11:16 PM
    Hi, ragingblur!

Some people can belong to any number of different organizations and still not be able to draw upon the fine references of people that they might need, nor be able to prove to others the reality of their own (what they might perceive themselves as) fine worth in order to seek out other employment opportunities.

If a person proves to others that they are indispensable at doing whatever type of job they have and are a "team" player if they worked with others, then those sort of accomplishments and attributes should be easy to demonstrate and subsequently be able to prove in the course of an interview.

Also, if there's more "fluff" rather than "stuff" on a resume, then if I were an employer, I would be more likely to be suspect of a person who listed too many group affiliations as maybe needing to "pad" the resume to make themselves look better.

Not that it's totally bad to list that particular affiliation because, as has already been mentioned, it's situational. But, if it were me, then I would be concentrating on making the space available for listing what I've done as an employee or self-employed person rather than the organizations to which I belonged.

What sort of employment have you already had and what type or types of employment are you seeking, please?

Thanks!
    artistkelly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 06:27 PM
    As a member of Mensa, I've enjoyed the repartee between you two. My two cents? I've had my membership status as one of the last items on my resume (and membership in Triple Nine Society too) for the past twenty years. Did it help? Yes, because my potential employer then knew why I had such a range of interests and jobs and education. It helped too, that I brought along a "brag book" with letters of recommendation and plenty of samples of my work. It's the whole package that counts, people, not just the fact that you and I score well on a standardized test of intelligence. Don't be afraid to list your membership!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I say on applications now that I left my last job on bad terms? Please HELP [ 4 Answers ]

NEED ADVISE PLEASE. The company I worked for was small, family owned company - 10 employees total. When they hired me they knew my husband was disabled. They pay 100% of family health insurance and they knew I took the job based on need for health insurance. Now - 2 years later, due to personality...

Misdemeanor charges in California effects on background check for a job seeker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was arrested in nov 09 for petty theft for $80 in a children's clothing store. I was wrongful accused. Actully it was a big misunder standing. I have hired a lawyer and paid him about $2000 and he is fighting for me. I had an interview for a preschool position and my reference check went very...

Job applications [ 2 Answers ]

Is it legal for possible employers to ask if a person has been charged with a crime? I thought it was just if you'd been convicted of a crime? What if the person has been charged but not had their day in court yet? Or what if the charges end up being dismissed?

View more questions Search