Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tshumpert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 02:21 PM
    If child receives ssi for disabilited parent does parent have visitation rights
    Just found out my sons father gets SSI. Can my son draw SSI also. Father lives out of state and as had little contact with my son, if I draw SSI for him will the father have visitation rights, rights to have his last name changed ?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 02:51 PM

The father already has those rights. Child support and visitation are separate issues. Is there a current support order from the courts ?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tshumpert View Post
    just found out my sons father gets SSI. Can my son draw SSI also. Father lives out of state and as had little contact with my son, if I draw SSI for him will the father have visitation rights, rights to have his last name changed ?
    Short answer-YES.
    Visitation and child support are different things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do children receive SSI benefits for a disabled parent? [ 29 Answers ]

Do children that have a disabled parent that receives SSI benefits only receive a check themselves if they are under 18 years old? I have heard that if the parent was under a certain poverty level that the children would receive a check also. Is there any truth to this?

Parent with disabled child not able to work [ 2 Answers ]

My grandson is 8 years of age and has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, autism and a seizure disorder. Due to the progression of his disease and other medical problems he cannot be placed in a day care. Because of the severity of his disease his mother must stay home and take care of him except for...

Can children of a disabled parent who receives ssi also get ssi checks? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I apply for my 2 babies to receive ssi checks... I've been receiving an ssi check since I was about 18.. the mother of my babies is living back at her mothers because her mother has sarcoma cancer and had her leg amputated up to the tip and the cancer then spread to her lungs so she is...

Relinquish rights if parent is disabled [ 17 Answers ]

Father of my 2 children was in an accident 6 years ago & is now disabled he cannot make decisions for himself or our children. We have not been together for over 8 years & I am married with 2 more children. Can his rights be relinquished considering his incapabilities of making important decisions?

Child of disabled parent [ 4 Answers ]

My son age 10 is eligible to collect social security disability benefits based on my husbands terminal brain cancer. They told me as administrator of his funds I have to account for every penny each year. No problem, but since I am not the most organized person in the world I want to keep all of...

View more questions Search