Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaliGurl777 Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Aug 18, 2010, 12:10 PM
    Does getting a cartilage piercing hurt if I have low pain tolerance?
    Okay, I'm 12 now and I was wanting to get a cartlilage piercing in my right ear with a gun. I understand that some people say it's painless, but I have LOW pain tolerance! I don't want anyone to scare me and tell me NOT to get it done, so I want some encouragement, but I want the truth too! :) Please help me..
    Curious and exited,
    Girl from next door... :)
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 12:19 PM

I had mine done and the most painful part was cleaning it and turning the earring afterwards.
    You are very young to get it done and I feel you should wait but that is yours and your parents decision. Have you read up on the risks of cartilage piercings? There are some, you need to make yourself knowledgeable so you can make an informed decision.

Aug 18, 2010, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    I had mine done and the most painful part was cleaning it and turning the earring afterwards.
    You are very young to get it done and I feel you should wait but that is yours and your parents decision. Have you read up on the risks of cartilage piercings? There are some, you need to make yourself knowledgable so you can make an informed decision.
    I thank you for your concern, but my mom and I discussed and she doesn't agree with you. That is not the problem, and I read about the side affects and I understand that because I researched, but I was only wondering if it will sting for someone with LOW pain tolerance. When I was taking a tetnus shot, I kind of cried, but not like a SCREAMING cry

Aug 18, 2010, 12:46 PM
    Wanting a cartilage piercing, and low pain tolerance
    I am really wanting a cartliage piercing with a gun because I hate needles. As you know now, I have LOW pain tolerance so someone who has low pain tolerance please help! And I understand the side affects of using a gun so just help me.. don't scare me into not getting one though! :) HELPPPP!!

Aug 18, 2010, 12:47 PM

Please help me! I know your online!
    Lilly_16 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 02:07 PM

I had mine done with a needle 2 years ago ( by the way I hate needles too) to me it felt like someone poked a sewing needle through my ear, its like a 2 second pain so to be on the safe side I suggest to use a needle.

Aug 18, 2010, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly_16 View Post
    i had mine done with a needle 2 years ago ( by the way i hate needles too) to me it felt like someone poked a sewing needle through my ear, its like a 2 second pain so to be on the safe side i suggest to use a needle.
    I'm still going to use a gun though. So... :confused:
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 03:55 PM

Do you know why using a piercing gun is bad?

My friend had his done, they used a gun. Recently he went to his doctor for something completely unrelated and found out the piercing gun had actually destroyed the cartilage in his ear.

A real piercer won't use a gun to pierce cartilage.

Aug 18, 2010, 04:13 PM
    [QUOTE=Altenweg;2488192]Do you know why using a piercing gun is bad?

My friend had his done, they used a gun. Recently he went to his doctor for something completely unrelated and found out the piercing gun had actually destroyed the cartilage in his ear.

A real piercer won't use a gun to pierce cartilage.[

Yes I have known that, but the chances are 1 in a million.. I'm just asking if anyone with low pain tolerance can withstand the pain! :) but thank you anyway.. can u *** answer my question? :) :cool:
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 04:23 PM
    [QUOTE=CaliGurl777;2488221]
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Do you know why using a piercing gun is bad?

My friend had his done, they used a gun. Recently he went to his doctor for something completely unrelated and found out the the piercing gun had actually destroyed the cartilage in his ear.

A real piercer won't use a gun to pierce cartilage.[

yes i have known that, but the chances are 1 in a million.. im just asking if anyone with low pain tolerence can withstand the pain! :) but thank you anyways.. can u *** answer my question? :) :cool:
    It hurts. That's all I can tell you.

Also, no, it's not 1 in a million.

Aug 18, 2010, 04:24 PM
    [QUOTE=Altenweg;2488226]
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliGurl777 View Post

It hurts. That's all I can tell you.

Also, no, it's not 1 in a million.
    I mean does it hurt when they put the gun in your skin? Like at first? :) Thank you for your help.. :p
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 04:48 PM
    [QUOTE=CaliGurl777;2488228]
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post

i mean does it hurt when they put the gun in your skin? like at first? :) Thank you for your help.. :p
    Yes. It hurts. It hurts when they do it, and it hurts after they do it.

Aug 19, 2010, 07:32 AM
    [QUOTE=Altenweg;2488253]
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliGurl777 View Post

Yes. It hurts. It hurts when they do it, and it hurts after they do it.
    Thank you so much! :) ;):) :rolleyes:
    ramona_ Posts: 222, Reputation: 47

Aug 28, 2010, 04:04 PM

You should never get any piercing (except lobes) done with a gun. The reasons for this is..
    -guns can not be sterilized, they just wipe an alcohol wipe over it which by the way doesn't kill blood born pathogens such as HIV (aids) and hepatitis.
    -needles hurt less as they are hollow and push aside the tissue/cartilage whereas a gun forces and tears through the tissue/cartilage with a blunt ear ring.
    -After getting pierced by a needle, the healing process is less than a gun and your chance of infection, cysts, keloids, etc, is significantly less.
    -Piercing parlors are always happy to help with any inquires and give you free aftercare solution and instructions on how to clean and they are professionals whereas places like claires have a two week training course and if a problem arises you're advised to go to a doctor and also they take no responsibility if you contract a serious infection (they make you sign a contract saying so).

You say you're scared of needles but you don't see the needle unless you can see your own ears? The noise of the gun is also more likely to make you panic a little.

So unless you want the risk of your ear collapsing: Image:Ear Collapse-1.jpg - BMEzine Encyclopedia
    Or be at risk of serious swelling:
    Image:Chondritis.jpg - BMEzine Encyclopedia

.. then I suggest you get it done with a needle.

Keep safe and don't put your health at risk, good luck.

Sep 6, 2010, 09:43 AM

I couldn't care less! I go it done! NOT PainfuL!
    ramona_ Posts: 222, Reputation: 47

Sep 6, 2010, 09:45 AM

Then what was the point in posting this thread if you were going to ignore our advice. Well done, you successfully put your own health at risk.
    CourtBabe95 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 07:10 AM
    Well , I'm 15 and got mine done two weeks ago and does not tolerate pain well either , and honestly its nothing to get yourself worked up about, its really fast and painless if you get it done with the gun , I got it with the gun and have had no issues what so ever . Just clean it 2-3 times a day and wash your hands before you touch it... goodluck ! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cartilage piercing Pain/ healing time [ 3 Answers ]

I got my cartilage pierced 3 weeks ago. How long does it take for a cartilage piercing to heal and stop hurting?

Reduce the pain of my cartilage piercing [ 12 Answers ]

Is there any kind of pain medication I can use to reduce the pain of my cartilage piercing? It hurts to sleep on, its like someone is slamming a hammer into my ear when I try to lay on it. I don't want to take it out, its not infected at all. It just hurts like crazy when I try to touch it. When...

Does Cartilage Piercing hurt? Is it unsafe? [ 97 Answers ]

I am getting the top of my ear pierced, like on the side in the cartilage. I was wondering how much it will hurt if it is being done with a needle (not a gun) and how high chance it is for infection. I know that it takes a lot longer than a hole in your earlobe to heal, about a few months?

Abnormal pain from piercing cartilage? [ 0 Answers ]

Hey, I got my second cartilage piercing three days ago, and doe some reason whenever I even lightly brush it, it's excruciatingly painful. A long time ago I decided to be stupid and try to pierce it myself with a safety pin, which failed terribly since I couldn't get the ring all the way through...

Does piercing your cartilage hurt [ 1 Answers ]

I don't think it hurts when I got mine don't at claires it wasa little stinging for about 18 seconds and I juts got mine done I remember and it hurts when I roatate them and when you touch it or something hits it remember don't sleep on it cause it will go right through your ear

View more questions Search