Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PrttyBrownEyez21 Posts: 121, Reputation: 2

Aug 18, 2010, 07:37 AM
    What does this mean?
    Sometimes when I turn my laptop on, the screen turns blue and then it takes forever to load.Does anyone have any experience with this problem?If so does this mean something is wrong with my computer because it didn't used to be like that. I recently bought this new kodak camera as well and for some reason my laptop doesn't recognize it as being a new device,so it can't install it.has anyone else dealt with the same problem?

Thank you
    happy.face Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2010, 01:58 PM

Prtty Brown

I would suggest you to format your computer and install windows software again. How long since you installed the operational system ?

Generally these kind weird of problems are produced by wrong register values, system preferences errors. They appear just by using the computer, installing and uninstalling programs. There's no specific reason. As you use your windows os things generally happen.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2010, 12:03 PM

You could try a general clean up.

Normally what I do..

Disable any unneeded items and services at startup.

Uninstall all toolbars and unneeded programs.

Run CCleaner to clear up junk and registry errors.

Run hijackthis and get rid of all recommended stuff.

Set the page file to a standard size.

Set the computer to performance.

That and sometimes a ram upgrade, will juice a little life back into an old machine.
    Stainlessman Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by happy.face View Post
    Prtty Brown

I would suggest you to format your computer and install windows software again. How long since you installed the operational system ?

Generally these kind weird of problems are produced by wrong register values, system preferences errors. They appear just by using the computer, installing and uninstalling programs. There's no specific reason. As you use your windows os things generally happen.
    NO! That is an inexperienced uninformed user giving you bad advice. You do not maintain your computer with regular reinstallations of the operating system. That's ridiculous. That is only a last resort to an irevoccably corrupted OS. It's not like doing an oil change on your car to keep the engine running longer. CCcleaner is not a bad idea but it will not significantly improve your startup time, but it may helpprove some performance during computer use. Download something like Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware (free versions are available). Scan your computer with them (use them one at a time) and then defragment your computer. Modifying the startup list is not for beginners because you could disable something that should run at startup and a beginner won't know what all the program abbreviations mean. To get to the Defragmenter in XP: Right click My Computer > click Manage> click Storage (if its submenu is not already expanded) and you will see 3 selections in the right pane. Double-click Disk Defragmenter and run it. Don't worry about analyzing the disk because it's a waste of time since you're going to run the defragmenter anyway. Just start it and let it run. Do it at night when you're done using the computer and walk away, it takes a while depending on your disk size and the number of files on your computer.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2010, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stainlessman View Post
    NO! That is an inexperienced uninformed user giving you bad advice. You do not maintain your computer with regular reinstallations of the operating system. That's ridiculous. That is only a last resort to an irevoccably corrupted OS.
    I think you're going a little over-board with this. First, it's not ridiculous - it's merely an opinion. I reinstall Windows once or twice a year, or any time anything starts acting quirky, and not as a last resort when nothing else will work. I still run AV, spyware and all that, and do defrag's. But I personally just like reinstalling the OS. I also agree that things just slowly get corrupted over time. I also personally would rather just reinstall than use something like CCleaner.

Granted, for most users there are better choices to try first.

But since I don't leave it as a last resort, am I now inexperienced, uninformed and worse, ridiculous? Thank you.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2010, 05:56 AM
    Morgaine,
    When you reinstall Windows you likely know what to backup, the casual user would not know this and would lose valuable data and programs. I agree with stainless that offering up reformatting as the first solution is not advisable.

A better solution would be to turn off programs that run at startup using either CCleaner or Msconfig.
    Stainlessman Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 02:34 PM
    I recently bought this new kodak camera as well and for some reason my laptop doesn't recognize it as being a new device,so it can't install it.has anyone else dealt with the same problem?

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop and click Properties at the bottom of the menu. When the Properties box opens, click the Hardware tab. Click the Device Manager button and then click the Action button on the tool bar at the top. There should be an option to Scan For Hardware Changes. Make sure your camera is plugged in and turned on and that you have the software disk in the drive. Click the selection to scan. Your camera should then be recognized and typically an automatic search for drivers takes place. It should find your disc in the drive and install the drivers for the camera automatically. If it doesn't, the Hardware Update Wizard should open. Where it says "Can Windows connect to Windows Update?", choose Not This Time and click Next. Where it says "What do you want the wizard to do?" choose Install from a list or specific location. Click Next. Check the box next to "Include this location in the search" and then use the Browse button to navigate to your CD/DVD ROM drive if it's not already showing in the text box. Click Next and the rest should happen on its own.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2010, 03:56 PM

I did say for most users there are better options to try first - I wouldn't have recommended it as a first option for OP either. I'm not saying it's for every user - only saying it's not "ridiculous."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search