Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PrttyBrownEyez21 Posts: 121, Reputation: 2

Aug 18, 2010, 07:35 AM
    I want a new Laptop... need advice..
    So I'm in the market for a new laptop. Which are better overall laptops, Acer or HP? Also, has anyone tried windows 7,is it really better than Vista? I have another question, is Mcrosoft office really better than the 2007 version?What I mean is it worth paying for it,if you still have the 2007 version. One last question, are the bill me later options legit?

Thank you
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 07:52 AM

Asus is better than both :p

Out of those 2 I would go for the Acer... had no end of troubles with my Compaq.

Windows 7 takes a bit of getting used to but I love it, easier to navigate and seems to run faster.
    Some cool new features which are handy too like sticky notes.

I don't like the new office... barely used it on my new laptop, going to go back to an older version.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 08:20 AM

I've bought MANY Acer laptops, they are fine, plus the price makes it worth it.

The last ACER Laptop I got from WALMART for $399 (17", DVD burner, 300gig, 3g RAM, webcam, wifi, fullsize keyboard, cardreader)... couldn't beat it!

At that price, consider the savings a boon. I'll be buying another very soon.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-17.3-...-4088/13352322
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2010, 11:35 PM

Just some additional comments, because I don't know laptops. (Other than that I wouldn't buy an HP anything.)

Why don't you wait until your other question gets answered before deciding that you need to purchase a new one?

As for Office - it's extremely expensive and if you've already got 2007 and have no issues with it, I'd say it's absolutely not worth getting the newest one. (Most of the stuff I hate about 2007 has not changed, but that's me. I'm still using 2000 and will do so until I have no choice.)

As for "bill me later" - that would depend on where you're buying it. That's an issue with the vendor, not with the computer.
    aimee_tt Posts: 340, Reputation: 143

Aug 18, 2010, 11:42 PM

My sister has had 2 HP laptops. The first one broke down a few times and eventually they gave her a upgrade which is now playing up to.

Don't get HP
    PrttyBrownEyez21 Posts: 121, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2010, 12:45 PM

Thanks everyone.

Morgaine: I've already gotten that other question answered. My computer had the blue screen of death earlier today.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2010, 01:37 PM

HP is the top selling brand of computer in the world. They have been for at least four years. Every manufacturer has its lemons, but HP has a better track record then anyone else. They have also won awards for their tech support.

Win 7 is much better than any previous version. It runs more efficiently and has many ease of use improvements.

Office 2010, however, while it has a great many improvements most of them have to do with collaboration and are geared towards the corporate market. As an individual, you can stick with 2007, unless you see some feature(s) in 2010 you absolutely want or need.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrttyBrownEyez21 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Morgaine: I've already gotten that other question answered. My computer had the blue screen of death earlier today.
    It wasn't answered when I posted that, so no, you hadn't waited on an answer. And most of us have a blue screen of death sometimes. It doesn't mean the computer died or that you need a new one.

Did you read the response you got? It very likely could be software issues - files get corrupted over time and stuff simply needs cleaned up or reinstalled - it doesn't mean the computer itself is necessarily broken. There's a difference between software and hardware. People often think that anything going on with their computer means the computer itself is broken and that they need a new one, which can end up being a complete waste of money.

I'll make you a deal. You go buy a new one. You send me your old one, as long as I get all the disks that came with it. I've gotten perfectly fine working computers for free that way before.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 19, 2010, 04:27 PM

I've never tried Acer, but I'm sure it's not bad.
    I have an HP G60 laptop and I love it. You get a lot for the price and they also come with a one year warranty. On top of that they have excellent customer support. I recently called HP because my battery died (because I used to leave it on the charger for way too long) and it was replaced for free under the warranty. They sent a new battery the next day.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 04:38 PM

If you buy it from Best Buy, they ship you junk batteries and chargers by Hi-Capacity more than once. Customer support from HP is good, but not great.

Epson is even crappier. Support is moronic.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 19, 2010, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS View Post
    If you buy it from Best Buy, they ship you junk batteries and chargers by Hi-Capacity more than once. Customer support from HP is good, but not great.

Epson is even crappier. Support is moronic.
    I know HP sends used batteries, but they still work.. well at least mine does.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2010, 05:12 PM

I've escalated to the highest levels of support at HP and Epson. HP was better at the highest level than Epson.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2010, 02:55 AM

You have also been getting answers on that question here which indicate there may be other options.

So really, excuse me for trying to help keep you from possibly wasting money when you don't need to. The fact that you don't want to hear it doesn't make me wrong... but I'll certainly remember to never bother with you again.
    Stainlessman Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2010, 08:32 PM

If you're already using Office 2007 then I wouldn't spend the money on 2010. There are only minor changes which are mostly related to the user inteface, such as the Office button is gone in 2010. Functionality remains basically the same. I will say that Outlook has some nice new featues, such as your calendar and appointments are displayed on the right in a small form factor until you choose the calendar specifcally. It's nice for "At a glance."
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2010, 05:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stainlessman View Post
    If you're already using Office 2007 then I wouldn't spend the money on 2010. There are only minor changes which are mostly related to the user inteface, such as the Office button is gone in 2010. Functionality remains basically the same. i will say that Outlook has some nice new featues, such as your calendar and appointments are displayed on the right in a small form factor until you choose the calendar specifcally. It's nice for "At a glance."
    I agree with you that for this OP, spending the money on Office 2010 is a waste. But if you think the changes in 2010 are minor, you know little about it. The user interface changes are minor, but there are a lot of new features, new capabilities and new functionality in the various modules of office 2010. However, most of those changes are designed to improve collaboration, so they are mostly of benefit to corporate users who need to share documents, spreadsheets, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a hard drive from a Compaq laptop fit in a Dell Laptop? [ 2 Answers ]

So here's the thing, I own a Compaq laptop and my screen broke. So instead of buying a new screen, I'm getting a Dell laptop from a friend because his hard drive went out and he doesn't want it anymore. So I want to swap the hard drive from my compaq with the one in the dell. Will it work?

How do I reboot my laptop because I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop [ 3 Answers ]

How do I reboot my laptop beacause I have forgot my password to sign in to my laptop

Laptop advice [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to buy a new laptop in the next few days. The main use of the laptop will be running design programs, such as ProEngineering, and the sort for my uni course. Also though it needs to be able to play modern games such as Battlefield 2. I have read comparisons of processors and video...

Laptop advice? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I'd really appreciate your help. I'm planning on purchasing a new laptop, and this time I want to make the right decision about everything inside so it will perform well. (gaming talking.. ) My current laptop although was 'strong' the time I bought it (a year+ 2.4GHZ, 512MB) is a real...

View more questions Search