Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djmont Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 04:34 PM
    Regrouting tile floor
    We have granite tile, with tan grout, in our kitchen and foyer. Some of the grout has started to break down.

How difficult is it to regrout the tiles myself? I don't care if the new grout matches exactly, as long as it's close.

I'm hardly Mr. Fix-it around the house, but I hate the idea of paying a handyman $90/hour if it's something I can do myself.

Any thoughts or suggestions are very appreciated. Thanks!
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Dec 21, 2006, 06:05 PM
    Real easy advice here... step one go to Lowe's or Home Depot or any store that sells grout; next step buy toothbrushes and grout; mix the solution if not ready mixed; oh, by the way purchase some rubber gloves; next put some grout on the tooth brush; next place the grout in between the tiles replacing the old grout; follow the lines between the tiles and repeat until all the grout is covered and filled; let dry; be neat ( smile )
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Dec 22, 2006, 09:50 AM
    I would try harder. At HD or Lowe's, you can get a grout removing tool - sort of like a small saw configured like a toothbrush. Use this to remove as much grout as possible, even in the areas that are not cracking, so that the final color matches better. Then proceed as if grouting a new job. You can get full directions from Google. In short, push the grout firmly into the spaces using a rubber float - cheap, also at HD or Lowe's. Push on the diagonal so as not to sweep the grout out of the spaces. Do this in sections you can work in 15 minute batches. After the grout is in place for about 15 minutes, remove the grout from the tile surface by polishing with a damp sponge. After it is completely dry (maybe a week, read the directions), seal it with a silicone product - also at HD/L. This is not too hard. The worst part is removing the old grout. I think you will be happy with the result.
    caesars charm Posts: 80, Reputation: 7

Dec 22, 2006, 08:22 PM
    dclynch, why do you have to use silicone? Just asking cause I've had ceramic tile down for twelve years now and didn't use it. Some of my grout needs to be replaced as well so I was just wondering why silicone.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Dec 22, 2006, 09:20 PM
    I think silicone is supposed to be the best sealer. It helps make the grout less permeable to liquids and so more likely to not degrade and easier and keep clean.
    crickle83 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 09:50 PM
    I'm not an expert but I would just put a layer of the new grout over the old... I would figure this would help the colors blend. If you were to go to a flooring store I would expect they would give you some tips if you buy the grout there.
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 25, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Yah, fix only what you have to fix as most folks just don't notice the small imperfections they way you do. Match the color best you can - HD seems to have the widest range of tile grout colors. If you don't use a grout sealer the grout will darken over time as dirt and mud get into it.
    I recently laid three rooms of tile in this house. I used non-dand grout this time - seems to work well and is as easy to work with as wall board mud so you can fill the grout lines, wait a bit and use a nearly dry sponge to really smooth over the grout lines.

As far as taking out all the grout out the grout lines to repair it, I disagree as just scraping up the damage part should allow enough cleaned but ragged area for the new material to lock onto to as it dries.

Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asbestos floor tile [ 1 Answers ]

I have the 8x8 asbestos floor tile in my basement. I want to install new vinyl tile. What is the best way to do this? My thought is to put down a thin layer of durrock over the existing tile and then installing the new vinyl on top of that. How should I secure the durrock to the old vinyl...

Cutting A Tile Floor [ 4 Answers ]

One of our experts is asking for our help in a E-mail. Since I have no experience in this area I'm posting his E-mail here. He's away from his computer and on vacation so if any of our experts have the solution to his problem I'll E-mail him back with the answer. Thanks, Tom From : ...

Tile Bathroom Floor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my husband just recently Tiled our bathroom floor, and he just grouted the tile yesterday, how long will it need to dry before being able to get wet (like if we use the bathtub/shower) and also is it necessary to seal the grout? He says it's not but I have read on the internet otherwise? ...

Tile floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to put a ceramic tile floor in the bathroom. Presently there is 5/8 inch pressedboard for flooring with 1/2 in plywood subfloor. Can I put down a 1/4 in backerboard and tile, or due I have to cut out the 1st level of pressed board ? Thanks Tim:confused:

View more questions Search