Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2010, 06:33 AM
    Will Florida Accept a hand written codicil If it's notarized?
    I have a current will. Can I add to it by myself without going through a lawyer? Thank you, Tom
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 07:35 AM

No law requires that you can't add a codicil, Tom, but varies from state to state. However, must be witnessed by two people not benefiting from your will. I would play it safe and go the usual route through your lawyer. It can't cost that much to add a codicil.

Tick
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 01:32 PM

To answer your question. Yes it should be OK to do it that way. Even if the witness is an interested party they can still sign as witness. Just remember it takes 2 witnesses to make it legal. One can be the notary.

Who may be a witness. Who may witness.--
    (1) Any person competent to be a witness may act as a witness to a will.
    (2) A will or codicil, or any part of either, is not invalid because the will or codicil is signed by an interested witness.
    Florida Code Section 732.504.

Ref:

Florida Last Will and Testament--Law Summary / Links
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2010, 05:21 AM

Thanks guys!
    The information you provided was very helpful. I just rewrote my will to the tune of $250. You guys just saved me some money. Thanks again, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a Maxum Length a Lease can be written for in Florida? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there is term limit on the maximum amount months for a Lease? For Example... If a renter wants to negotiate a longer term lease for a smaller rent payment. What is the maximum amount of months for such a lease in Florida? Can you have a 3 year, 5 year, 10 year lease on a house to lock in a...

Extending a hand to an unclenched fist .opened to accept a bribe [ 7 Answers ]

Or something like that. The Commerce Dept. has waived certain sanctions on Syria Commerce Department Waives Syria Sanctions - Forbes.com This news come with a report that Stone Face Kerry will be visiting Syria next week bearing gifts . US Sen. Kerry to travel to Syria to meet Assad -...

Codicil to a will written 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

How would I find a copy of the last will and testiment of somebody deceased 4 months ago - don't know if probate granted yet. I know that I was left something in a previous will as I have a copy. I've now been told that the will had a codicil and I have been left nothing. How can I see a copy of...

Buyer sign hand written agreement and then cancel the deal does get her money back? [ 5 Answers ]

The buyer and seller agree on the price for a 2006 scion xb with 12050 miles on it for 12000, and sign a handwritten agreement. She wrote me a $500 personal check to hold the car until Friday which is five days. I took it off the market for that time and had to turn down other offers for the car...

Notorizing a hand written paper [ 7 Answers ]

My son, who lives in Georgia needs a witness to write a three line statement that they knew when his child's mother came home one morning at 5:30 a.m. The lawyers want the sister to sign a paper that says just that. My son's attorney wants it notorized. The sister does not think that will hold...

View more questions Search