Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woop_ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 11:07 PM
    First offence shoplifting
    Hi, I really need some advice... yesterday my friend and I (both 18) got caught shoplifting at Target. We both stole approx. $115 worth of goods. Apparently the Target security has been building a case on us for a couple months now. They've watched us go in and out of that store stealing things every time. And the one time that we both stole the most we have ever stolen, they caught us. Before this time, I have only been to Target (stealing) at the most 10 times.
    Anyway, we were taken into the security office and were asked to dump out our purses and explain to him what happened. I was nothing but honest and cooperative, and I would assume he appreciated that. After he got all of our information he called 2 cops to come talk to us. Again, we were extremely cooperative and honest with them as well. By the end of those long 3 hours, they sent us home with no citation and no arrest... but the only reason for that is because the security guard and the detectives have to get everything together from the past times we've been there, and then sentence us to court. I guess my question is, since I have a completely clean record, not even a speeding ticket... do you think that they will just send me a subpoena in the mail? Or come to my house and finally put me in handcuffs and take me to jail for a night? I just don't know what to expect, I'm just waiting for something to happen and it's making me extremely anxious. And I reeeaaally don't want my parents to find out about this. What do I do?
    lovinu88 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Aug 31, 2010, 03:40 PM

Honestly you knew the chances of getting introuble when you done it.

But most likely they will send it by mail.

And you should never confess to anything! (like you just did)

You (and everone in the US) is inocent until proven guilty.

You just confessed!
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 03:44 PM

What state do you live in? This matters a lot. I'm surprised they let you go with nothing. Are you under age? I'm also quite shocked they let you get away with it ten times... I'm ALSO surprised that you aren't banned from that store.

Why steal? Get a job.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovinu88 View Post

And you should never confess to anything!! (like you just did)

You just confessed!
    She didn't confess to a murder online... She confessed to stealing, they already knew she was guilty as she confessed to the security and the video tape is proof.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2010, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovinu88 View Post

And you should never confess to anything!! (like you just did)

You just confessed!

This is good TV but bad legal advice. She won't get a subpoena. She MIGHT get an appearance ticket - and that MIGHT come in the mail. Subpoenas have to be served.

And what you post on AMHD really isn't furnished to the Court - again, good TV. Bad legal advice.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bendingleconte View Post
    Well, another problem you have is a written record (this post) of stealing 10 times!

STOP EFFING STEALING!

And how do you suppose it's going to matter - unless, of course, this info is furnished to the Court. And that's not going to happen.

This person is asking for legal advice. Please stick to that.
    zombiekiller Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Aug 31, 2010, 04:53 PM

It's not going to be furnished to the Court... but as far as legal advice goes, "Don't admit to multiple crimes on the internet."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 04:58 PM

They are going to build a case against you, and honestly the worst thing you did was tell them and be honest with them, That may have gotten you to walk out of the store then, but to be honest it will seal your conviction when you go to court, esp if you admitted stealing in the past also.

They may change you with several counts of add up the items to try and make it a felony charge.

Also assuming you are a JUV your parents will have to be in court with you, since what they say and do will also effect what will happen to you.

I would expect ( if you are in the US) to have thepolice come to the door to at least serve you, if not handcuff you
    zombiekiller Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Aug 31, 2010, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    And how do you suppose it's going to matter - unless, of course, this info is furnished to the Court. And that's not going to happen.

This person is asking for legal advice. Please stick to that.
    Stick to legal advice? Where is your legal advice? I see nothing here but your comments on everyone else's posts.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 31, 2010, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    And what you post on AMHD really isn't furnished to the Court - again, good TV. Bad legal advice.
    Ummm, many times it is. I'm living proof of that. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Past shoplifting found out after first-offence conviction [ 2 Answers ]

I was caught shoplifting last week and getting very worried and can't sleep. And coincidental enough.. I was telling my friends what happened and one of them had the same experience. What happened to her was that she was charged and got restitution and community service. However, she had done it...

Shoplifting 2nd offence [ 2 Answers ]

What is the sentence in Georgia for the second time

What are my options after Caught shoplifting-first offence in Canada [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, I did this stupidest mistake last week. Yes it is shoplifting. I was caught shoplifting at Zellers , Ontario, Canada of $10 worth stuff. The LP officer took me to their back office, called cop and Cop got me this citation to appear in court next month. It happened last week, since then I...

View more questions Search