Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pcumming Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 08:13 PM
    replace seer 10 coils with Seer 13?
    Have 2 10 year old Comfortmaker (ugh) residential units-2 ton and 2.5 ton with gas Comfortmaker furnace on top.
    No ice on coils. Last year my great and trusty hvac guy had to top off the R22. This year he has been out 2x to top off. One needed more R22 than the other.

This time he got out his leak detection meter (for R22) and found a leak in both evap coils, one more than the other. I was interested and watched him do this. *Tomorrow he will come out and check the outside condenser for any leaks-we ran out of time today.

A. Also tomorrow, he will get me a price on 2 replacement uncased downstream Seer 10 Comfortmaker coils.

B. He also mentioned that Seer 13 uncased evap coils (Goodman/Aspen) could work with my Seer 10 condenser unit assuming they fit in the evap case. He said we would need a TXV valve and would need a 3/4 to 7/8 adapter or something. He also said that this would not make my units operate at a seer 13 level. These Seer 13 evap coils can handle R22 or R410A per Alpine: http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=453063169

Since I am not working currently and been out of work for a while. I do not have the money to replace both AC units (and condenser) in their entirety-ie: 2 completely new systems.
    But I was thinking that if I used seer 13 coils with R22, that if the condenser went out in the future, perhaps I could go to a Seer 13 condenser and run R410A making things more compatible
    Would this give me a Seer 13 unit or are there more factors??

What's best to do-A, B and any comments you might have?

Thanks so much
    Peter
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2010, 04:50 AM

Yes, as long as he puts r-22 TXV's on it will work just fine, but you won't be operating anywhere close to 13 seer ,maybe 11 or 12.
    pcumming Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 04:56 AM
    Thanks! Now I need to see if the generic coils will fit in the case. Seems like it but only will have about 1/2 inch clearance at top and in depth. Hope that does not affect coils.
    Peter

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can uReplace a 10 seer ac condenser w/a 13 seer w/o changing the inside 10 seer unit [ 8 Answers ]

We have a 10 seer 2.5 ton heat pump outside condensing ac unit, that sprung a leak that cannot be repaired. We have had 5 repairmen come out and look. 3 of them say we have to replace the inside 10 seer 2.5 ton compressor and furnace as well. 1 of the 5 says we can just replace the outside unit...

Is it right to replace a 10 seer 3ton condensing unit (r-22) with a 13 seer 3ton [ 4 Answers ]

Will it be OK to replace a 10 seer 3 ton condensing unit (r-22) with a 13 seer 3 ton (r-22) without any changes to the 10 seer air handler(indoor unit)? I would appreciate your fieldback! Thanks, Gray

2 story 4000 sq ft house. Is a 14 seer better than 16 seer [ 1 Answers ]

2 story 4000 sq ft house. I have a choice of 14 seer or 16 seer. Which should I go with?

14 SEER vs 15 SEER Trane Heat Pump [ 2 Answers ]

I received two quotes for a 14 and a 15 SEER Trane R410A heat pump. The price difference was $2900 between the two quotes (there's duct work $$ in the quote as I am doing a major remodel and adding lots of new space) The question is should I ave the $2900 or does the extra efficieny pay off? ...

Air handler seer 10? WIll it be OK with a seer 13 heat pump. [ 1 Answers ]

We are replacing our old heat pump... the air handler was replaced 4 years ago and is good condition. Everyone wants us to replace our hole unit and we really don't want to put out that much $$ at this time. Can we just replace the Heat pump? Or do we have to replace both. Everyone says they...

View more questions Search