Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fednerbassman95 Posts: 71, Reputation: 9

Aug 17, 2010, 06:10 PM
    Dizz while running
    I am a cross country runner and the last few days I have been feeling light-headed after about 5 miles. I can't eat within three hours before a run do to stomach cramps. I have a family history of hypoglycemia stemming from my mother's side due to similar body types (tall and skinny). I'm not sure what to do about it but I would appreciate any advice you could give.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 08:56 PM

If you know you are hypoglycemic then you know that your blood sugar levels drop drastically with physical activity. Nothing can be more physical then cross country running. I understand the cramping and not eating before a run but you have to have something handy such as hard candy to replace your glucose levels while running.

Is there any chance that diabetes runs in your family as well as hypoglycemia?

You should get checked out by your doctor and tell him not to rule out a blood test to detect diabetes and also tell him of your blood sugar levels dropping drastically.

I think its time you had a good rigorous physical examination before your next run. Drastically reduced glucose can cause seizures and even death and you wouldn't want anything happening to you during a run, if in fact you run in remote areas.

Ms tick

Aug 18, 2010, 05:36 PM

I was tested last year for diabetes and other illnesses and I'm fine. My coach says I might have low electrolyte levels.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 18, 2010, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fednerbassman95 View Post
    I was tested last year for diabetes and other illnesses and i'm fine. My coach says i might have low electrolyte levels.
    If that is the case, it is a simple blood test and if so, fluid intake has to be increased.
    Get tested and see if that is the case.

Tick

Aug 21, 2010, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the tips I'm doing fine now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 honda civic dx suddenly dies while running. Have to hold key on to keep running [ 1 Answers ]

91 honda civic dx suddenly dies while running. I have to hold the key on far right start position to keep the car started. I let off the key and the car dies. Turn the key to the where the starter turns on and hold it there and the car stays running./ Any ideas what this could be?

Air Exchange in house running, outside motor running, Fan not turning [ 0 Answers ]

I have a RUUD #UAKA-024JAS man. 1995. The exchange in the house functions. When I turn the AC on the motor is running, but the fan isn't turning. I checked the breakers, which seemed to be fine. I disconnected the power and checked the fan, which spins freely. I need advice on how to fix this...

My condenser fan is running while my heat is running. It's a heil 4-t gas pak 14yrsold [ 1 Answers ]

The condenser fan on my 14 yr old heil 4-ton gas pak is running while the heat is on. I know its not supposed to but I'm not to sure where to start trouble shooting. My first instinct is the control board or the digital thermostat, (7 yrs old ) Can some one point me down the right path?

My Compaq Presario 160GB hd running XP is running very slow [ 8 Answers ]

computer is running very slowly in everything, except the internet.anti virus programs and a few anti-spyware programs. Stinger, windows defender, AVG Free, Ad-Aware and spyware Doctor.the computer even restarts randomly by itself! Says Windows has recovered from a serious error. I do not know the...

Bath tub shower spout & head running water running at same time [ 1 Answers ]

I started with a slight dripping problem(sayko system).i decided to replace all 3 stem assemblies together as they all were about 18 years old.after reassembling the new stems(danko brand),turned on the water supply & checked faucets.hot & cold worked fine but when the shower was turned on,water...

View more questions Search