Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2010, 05:42 PM
    "Grounding" in Golf
    After the big controversy this past weekend, the world now knows WHAT "grounding" is, but WHY it's a rule has so far gone unanswered in all the reports I read.

(Grounding is when the player lets his club touch the ground in a bunker).
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Aug 17, 2010, 06:19 PM
    Hi Athos,

Apparently you can't ground your club in any hazard. Bunkers are only one type of hazard.

The reason appears to be that you might gain some type of advantage by pushing down the sand or long grass just behind your ball.( depending on the hazard ).

Regards

Tut
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2010, 06:21 PM
    Found a great answer here:
    "There are several reasons why you are not allowed to ground your club in a hazard. First is to increase the difficulty of the shot. A good shot gets rewarded , a poor or unlucky shot doesn't. Second is testing. Third is changing the lie of the ball. In a sand hazard (bunker) the lie can be significantly improved without moving the ball. This particular portion of the rule has been erroniously applied to sand in fairway divots. There the player is allowed to "lightly ground" the club as long as there is no improvement of the lie of the ball. There hasn't been a year go by that a player was ruled not to ground the club in that situation, and wrongly penalized for a good shot unluckily stopped."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Grounding of "main panel" [ 5 Answers ]

I recently experienced monumental problems following neutral failure in my underground electrical supply. As a result, I have had the main breaker panel replaced because it appeared the main breaker was over stressed and an installed surge breaker had melted into the panel. I am concerned about...

" Two Women Playing Golf " [ 12 Answers ]

Two women were playing golf. One teed off and watched in horror as her ball headed directly toward a foursome of men playing the next hole. The ball hit one of the men. He immediately clasped his hands together at his groin, fell to the ground and proceeded to roll around in agony. The woman...

View more questions Search