Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steph1964 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 02:50 PM
    Does looking up a co-workers family's obituary violate hipaa?
    I had to leave the state last week for a funeral. One of my co-workers looked online to
    Find the obituary to see if he actually died and when. She took this to my superviser to
    Discuss. Since we work in a medical office and she did this at work and on the employers
    Computer, does it violate hipaa?
    Thank you,
    Stephanie Short
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 02:55 PM

It does not violate HIPAA because this was an obituary in the local paper and is a public notice/record.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2010, 06:33 PM

Also they were not looking at your records, ( hospital)
    What they were looking at is public internet records.

You can research anyone you want from public records
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2010, 05:51 AM

This does not violate any laws. The obituary was on-line and most likely in a newspaper which is available for everyone to read.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I violate this patients HIPAA rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I am the Supervisor of a POL. One of the employees of the X-Ray department asked me for a copy of her Mother's lab results. I refused, citing HIPAA regulations. The employee became very disruptive but I still refused to comply with her request. Because our facility has no clear protocol for...

Finding Obituary online [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, So I am wondering how I should go about finding my father's obituary. I have heard that my step-witch, I mean, step-mother made a few mistakes in its printing. I want to know. If so, what should I do? Just let it be?

Obituary: Common Sense [ 7 Answers ]

Maybe I'm not as good as I think I am at putting Religion and Politics aside where neither should have bearing on the subject. And maybe I'm not as much like "the next guy" as I think I am when it comes to life in general... I do, though, have hope: I'm thinking that no matter what your...

Obituary Site [ 11 Answers ]

Is there a site to look for obituaries if you don't know the name of the paper that it was posted in?

Did I violate HIPAA Law? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a medical student and was in my last week of school when I had to finish this project. I was suppose to see how this patient was doing. He was still a patient at the hospital but out patient, and instead of going to his house I looked up what operation he had and how his physical theropy...

View more questions Search